Nice rescue from the 'Bay

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Nice rescue from the 'Bay

Post by john elder »

I took a chance on an EVH 3/0 Restigouche that showed up on ebay. It was a sorry mess and I had no idea what might not be seen in its innards, but I just couldn't leave the poor thing:

When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find minimal damage. The biggest problem was some hunks out of the hard rubber on the inner rim, at the typical flaw points with EVH reels...where the side plate rims were pinned to the HR:

This early version was also set up to have a continuous clicker, which was missing, most likely because the owner got tired of listening to it and removed it. the drag shoes and detente to set the drag were also missing:

After a bit of cleaning and synthesis of the missing components including the detente and spring, click pawl and screw, and handle nut (drag is still in progress), it all went back together in better shape than I had a right to expect, given the starting material...this reel is ready for either stream or shelf fish!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Nice rescue from the 'Bay

Post by Tom R »

Fantastic....a reel worthy of your skilled restoration efforts.
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Beautiful work John ! Hard to believe it's the same reel. Doug
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

You do nice work.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice work, JE! Once again, a magnificent transformation. :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Folks! Seems to be the year for EVH Restigouchi! Here’s another rescue, this one a 6/0 that was mounted on a lamp that i got off the ‘Bay:

After:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The 6/0 is an interesting reel in that the drag is working fine and is the later version that works one way, rather than both ways, as with the early reel that Ron Gast posted about the other day (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22554). However, in contrast to Rons and all other Restigouche reels i have worked with, this one lacks a detente to hold the drag in a given setting. Since later reels with the one-way drag all have the detente, Edward must have concluded a little encouragement was needed to keep the drag in place.

I thought the 6/0 drag would be a good model for the fab of the missjng 3/0 drag. Shape is okay, but the ramps on the two drags are in opposite orientation, since the 3/0 drag is on the back plate and 6/0 is on the front:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

You are THE master.

:bow:

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

John - that was not a “rescue” nor a “salvage.” Your skills gave new life to two important reels for future generations to enjoy. In the classics paintings field I follow closely, we call that a “faithful restoration,” faithful to the hands that originally created such a mechanical work of art. My hat is off to you. I assure you Edward VH approves.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990