Shakespeare Wondercast Model 1777 Spincaster

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Shakespeare Wondercast Model 1777 Spincaster

Post by xjchad »

My cousin sent me a box of old reels that he was given knowing I'd have fun with all the grungyness ;D
There were a couple of Penn 209's and a 285 Del Mar, a Heddon 205-R, a Mitchell 300, and this push button Shakespeare Wondercast Model 1777.
The others went in my bin for another day, but I couldn't stop playing with the spincaster. It reminded me of my first rod and reel that my uncle bought me, a plastic push button reel on a fiberglass rod. I know these aren't high performance pieces, but for panfish and small trout they are a blast. Then there's the nostalgia factor of course! This model is date coded EG which I believe means the model was started in 1964. It's older than the one I had in the late 70's early 80's, but better built also.

Here's a few pics before cleaning it up.

Pretty grungy on the inside.

I completely disassembled it and cleaned it up with Dawn detergent and lacquer thinner.

(I got excited and forgot to take pictures of the first few reassembly steps :D )
The drag is just the main cap pressing the spool against this felt washer (which I oiled to make it smoother).

Once the spool is in place, the winding assembly with shaft slides on and then the washer and pinion gear.

Then the spring, washer, cotter pin are installed on the shaft. The left side plate and push button are installed after that.

Then the right side plate with the main gear and AR can be screwed in place and the main cap screwed on.
All done.

I love seeing the "MADE IN USA" ;D
Some of you may have noticed that the handle knob looks different and vaguely familiar...
It's the factory knob from my South Bend Classic 935. The original knob had disintegrated and so I had to improvise.

I can't wait to try this out on some panfish or trout! Just need to find an old 60's rod to pair it up with so I can spool it with some 6 lb. mono and go fish it!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Wondercast Model 1777 Spincaster

Post by john elder »

Nice save! Round up a nice glass Shakespeare Wonderod to pair with! Those are really fun rods...makes a 1/4 lb bluegill feel like a 5 lb bass!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Post by xjchad »

john elder wrote:Nice save! Round up a nice glass Shakespeare Wonderod to pair with! Those are really fun rods...makes a 1/4 lb bluegill feel like a 5 lb bass!

John

Thanks John!

The Wonderod is at the top of my search list! :D
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

i have the correct handle for that if wanted,that is a single grip in a kind of brown foam looking finish.
the front cover should have a large dia. felt washer glued in there for drag against the front spool flange,good chance that i would have a wonderod from the same time frame for you also.

gene
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Post by xjchad »

g,h. block wrote:i have the correct handle for that if wanted,that is a single grip in a kind of brown foam looking finish.
the front cover should have a large dia. felt washer glued in there for drag against the front spool flange,good chance that i would have a wonderod from the same time frame for you also.

gene
Hi Gene,
Thank you, the bell does have the large felt washer as well and I did oil that one also.

I'm definitely interested in the correct handle and the Wonderod if you have them :D
How much would be asking for them?
Thank you!
Chad
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Good job. Nice to see someone appreciate these Wondercasts. I have several of them myself.

If you haven't already figured it out, the pickup head unscrews from the main shaft. With the reel assembled and the front cover off, hold the reel crank stationary and turn the pickup head toward the crank side. This will allow the spool to be removed without disassembling the entire mechanism.

Looking at the 'after' pic of the interior, that washer at the end of the main shaft looks out of place. There should be just a small brass retainer between the spring and the retainer clip. I'm believe that washer should be further forward on the shaft between the pinion gear and the main body. It's not shown on the schematic, but is in the parts list as 'pinion thrust washer'.
"We'll take the car and drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone"
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Post by xjchad »

jimbofish wrote:Good job. Nice to see someone appreciate these Wondercasts. I have several of them myself.

If you haven't already figured it out, the pickup head unscrews from the main shaft. With the reel assembled and the front cover off, hold the reel crank stationary and turn the pickup head toward the crank side. This will allow the spool to be removed without disassembling the entire mechanism.

Looking at the 'after' pic of the interior, that washer at the end of the main shaft looks out of place. There should be just a small brass retainer between the spring and the retainer clip. I'm believe that washer should be further forward on the shaft between the pinion gear and the main body. It's not shown on the schematic, but is in the parts list as 'pinion thrust washer'.
Thanks Jimbo! I did not know that the pickup head could be unscrewed from the main shaft, that's handy!
This is my first spincaster rebuild, so I'm learning a lot still. :)

I do have the thrust washer between the pinion and the main body. I added the other washer between the clip and spring because there was nothing in that area when I opened it up and the spring was slipping past the clip. Good to know there's supposed to be some sort of retainer in there!

This reel does show a lot of use, the pinion is pretty well worn, but it runs pretty smooth and I probably will only use it occasionally, so I think it will be ok.

Thanks for all the tips!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

My interest does not lie in spinning reels, but can the pinion gear be reversed thereby giving a better surface?
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Chad: I love that reel! Second reel I ever owned. I bought it for a camping trip with my best friend and his father to Lake Erie Bass Islands. Caught a 5# small-mouth fishing for white bass with 1/4 oz Shysters in the bay in front of the Perry Memorial on South Bass Island. I've been hooked ever since! MEMORIES!
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Nice cleanup job!

I like the old underspin versions of the Wondereels and have several of the short foot styles that mount like a fly reel and line release is by cranking in reverse with the anti-reverse off, also a couple of the regular long-foot underspins.

Seems like I read somewhere you can make the reels like yours left hand crank by just flipping the works over, mounting the sideplates on the opposite sides. Since I'm a righty who left hand cranks by preference I took note.

I've seen a lot of those old Shakespeares with the handle knobs broken or frozen. I've been able to free up frozen ones with a good soak in penetrating oil & silicone. I have several reels I could put back in action with a proper crank.
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

https://images.orcaonline.org/u/1188/DSCN4077.JPG

i have the good gears and center shaft parts also,note that grip ring that has been removed from the cone.

not a shakespeare advised procedure but i do on rare occasions to match up the best of the 2 parts.
as to flipping side plates to go left hand it can't be done on these.
they made a 1778 which is this 1777 model in a left hand crank version.

the johnson green century 100 and the citation 110 model are the models reversible by flipping plates,moving a.r. lever to other position, and turning spool over.