Restoration of a water stained Orvis fly box c.1900

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Restoration of a water stained Orvis fly box c.1900

Post by Mike N »

A few weeks ago I purchased a fairly rare rectangular Orvis fly cardboard box, circa 1900. I got it at a 50% discount because as you can see from the photos below it was severely water stained.

I sent the Orvis box to an accomplished paper conservator I located in Pittsburgh for restoration, and she advised that the gold trim on the box also had signs of mice damage which she felt she could correct. The cost was reasonable and the results are nothing short of amazing. The repaired box is on its way back to me and I will update the “after” photos. Here is a link to the restorer’s website which also lists her strong credentials.

http://www.fineartpaperconservation.com/FAPC/Home.html

Before photos:

After photo comparison (more to be added soon):

Note that not only was the water stain almost entirely removed, but the mice damage on the gold trim was also repaired.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Restoration of a water stained Orvis fly box c.1900

Post by RonG »

Wow, that turned out very nice. I'll keep her link for possible future use.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I just received the Orvis fly box from the restorer:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Here are few photo of the restored box with the fly cards it originally came with:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

The Smithsonian is essentially our national museum. Long before tackle collectors addressed the issue, curators of rare paintings like the Mona Lisa were discussing preservation and restoration of paper artifacts that begin to deteriorate from the moment they are created.

In the words of the Smithsonian, “Restoration includes repairing...tears, water damage, fire damage and insect damage. The goal of the conservator is to stabilize the remaining original artwork and integrate any repairs in order to preserve the artist’s original intent.”

I think that was accomplished here.

Mike N.
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Looks like they got rid of the ugly stain. What a difference after the restoration. I know you are happy with it.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Ron-
Yes, I am pleased to have spent a few hundred dollars to remove the water stain and mouse bites caused by an inattentive prior owner. After all, the cardboard box is 120 years old and needed a little attention so our grandchildren can appreciate it going forward.

Mike N.
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

This is a really nice save, Mike! Did they have to repair any split corners in addition to the stain cleanup? That box when opened, looks so crisp and sharp! Very unusual to find one of these veterans that are not crushed or split somewhere!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

john elder wrote:This is a really nice save, Mike! Did they have to repair any split corners in addition to the stain cleanup? That box when opened, looks so crisp and sharp! Very unusual to find one of these veterans that are not crushed or split somewhere!
John- all the corners were in tact when I bought it.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990