Alcedo Micron rotor removal

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Alcedo Micron rotor removal

Post by Phil M. »

I have info from another post on ORCA saying that the rotor is reverse threaded. That same post showed an Alcedo rotor in which I could not see ANY threads inside the center of the rotor. I took the rotor nut off, and it was reverse threaded. Having trouble getting rotor off, even when I stall the worm gear with a leather piece between the worm and a pair of good pliers. Don't want to damage this valuable reel by forcing anything. Is the rotor threaded or force-fitted on the shaft? I have added Kroil to the shaft/rotor and let it soak for days. Would be grateful for any help.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Alcedo Micron rotor removal

Post by Midway Tommy D »

That post does not say the rotor is reverse threaded. It says the nut is reverse thread and the rotor hole is round so the pinion will spin if you don't hold the pinion secure while removing the nut. The hole in the rotor is round and smooth. Once you have the nut loose hold the rotor in your hand, and using a small block of wood against the end of the pinion and hammer, tap the the block and the rotor should pop right off. If you can't hold the body, too, you should place some sort of cushion under it to catch the body when it falls. You could turn the nut back onto the pinion a couple of threads to protect the end of the pinion if you like but be careful not to crack the nut.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027