Penn 12/0 electric drive

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Reeltyme

Penn 12/0 electric drive

Post by Reeltyme »

Gents, I thought you all might be interested in seeing this outfit. I recently purchased this mongrel from an acquaintance of mine. It’s a Penn Senator 12/0 with what I believe is a home- made 12 volt electric chain drive attachment. The drive is located interestingly on the “back” side of the reel. The back plate was ground down smooth to accommodate the motor plate. The clicker switch was removed and a bearing was added to the Penn plate for the new drive spline to be attached. The original handle is gone and does not come into play anyway. The Penn drag does absolutely nothing! A massive drag plate in the motor section does all the work. The drag is tightened using the big external brass knob. The free spool on the reel still comes into play though. I rewired the switch and power by adding the pvc l.b. The original power and switch were all open to the elements which I didn’t like. The new power setup isn’t pretty but it does protect the wiring from saltwater. All in all, quite a big boy performance package! Before and after pictures. Hope you all enjoy!
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn 12/0 electric drive

Post by Midway Tommy D »

That's one serious piece of equipment! :shock:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Neat, Randy! And ballsy of you to dive in and investigate!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
stevenm
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stevenm »

Any chance we can get a quick youtube video of it running? I see the lines etched into the plate from the chain travel, and it leaves me wondering.....
Does this reel sound like an old V-8 with a worn out timing chain? or is it quiet? :oops:
Super neat reel!
Like those Kentucky style reels
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Well gentlemen, have you seen the new electric reels on some of the fishing shows? You know, where they spend $3000 on a reel to catch a fish 1200 feet down and the reel is as quiet as a mouse,,,, that’s not this reel. This reel lets you know it’s running, no doubt. As for a you tube video, let me check my flip phone,,,, nope, not happening. :lol:
stevenm
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stevenm »

lol! fair enough on the flip-phone ;-)
Great job on the resto!
Like those Kentucky style reels