Does anyone know how to disassemble this rare fly reel?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Jamesseol
Big ORCA Fan

Does anyone know how to disassemble this rare fly reel?

Post by Jamesseol »

Hi, this is a Lockwood Bross 3" Sheffield England all brass fly reel c.1920.
The check button on the backplate doesn't work anymore all of a sudden.
I tried but failed to disassemble this reel.
Seems like the two small screws top of the back plate are just holding the reel foot.
I miss the beautiful clicker sound so much..
Any advices would be very appreciated.
Thank you.

RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Does anyone know how to disassemble this rare fly reel?

Post by RonG »

The ends of the pillars appear to be braded/peened over, so an easy disassembly would not be possible.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The method you got on the fly rod forum is often correct...ie, the pillars have opposite threads and by slowly turning them one at a time, you can get it apart. However, I agree with Ron in this case...the ends are peened over so that they can’t be removed without losing material needed to hold things tight. Whether the reel was originally produced that way is not clear to me.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jamesseol
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Jamesseol »

john elder wrote:The method you got on the fly rod forum is often correct...ie, the pillars have opposite threads and by slowly turning them one at a time, you can get it apart. However, I agree with Ron in this case...the ends are peened over so that they can’t be removed without losing material needed to hold things tight. Whether the reel was originally produced that way is not clear to me.
RonG wrote:The ends of the pillars appear to be braded/peened over, so an easy disassembly would not be possible.
Thank you so much for the advice. Yeop agree with that. I am going to grind a little bit of the ends to take it apart. It's sad but I think there's no alternative way so far. Thank you again.