How to fix cracked bone handles

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

How to fix cracked bone handles

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I have a fly reel with a bone handle that has a number of cracks running all the way through it (see pics). I would like to use the reel so I wanted to ask, what is the best way to repairs cracks such as these in bone? And wood, as I'm sure that case will arise some day as well?

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: How to fix cracked bone handles

Post by john elder »

Kevin, i’m Surprised to see an ivory knob on that reel...they usually had wooden knobs and were notorious for going missing...perhaps that’s what happened here and the present knob was added.

Looking back at past posts, Paul Manuel suggested a trick for ivory that Tom Delong indicated was something guitar pickers used as a patch method...involves using baking soda mixed in super glue. I’m sure Prof Google has some threads about that. Whether you have working cracks that will accept anything is unclear; ie, are the cracks wide enough to get anything in?

PS: is the reel just labeled as German Silver on back plate or is it badged as a Rochester product?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks John, I didn't realize it was ivory. I'm not sure that the cracks are wide enough to allow any glue to seep in, but I don't really want to break the know and re-glue it--that's my conundrum. The back is below.

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, more likely bone. There has been a lot of dialogue on ID of bone vs ivory vs plastic. I think Paul Manuel’s Demonstration of ivory glowing under a black light is clearest way to ID latter. Bone is more common. I must confess that I am really poor at making those calls! If the cracks are not “working”, I would just barge ahead and enjoy using it. If the grasp degenerates, it can be replaced.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The superglue/baking soda suggestion was intended for the situation where an antique ivory handle was ready to split or had cracked open leaving a gap. The instantly solidified baking soda fills gaps and sort of blends into the ivory color but the process leaves a rough surface that would need to be ground and polished.The fractures in your specimen seem to be closed. Superglue with an aerosol accelerator might be a less messy (albeit more expensive) approach to shoring up your handle if it got to the point of it breaking.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Finding hairline cracks in ivory and bone handle knobs is common. Unless the cracks are severe, I would leave it like it is. I think it's a nice cosmetic feature that shows the age of the reel.
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

As a disclaimer, I've never tried this with fishing reels, but I have done this with other natural porous materials (rocks, fossils) with good success. Mix epoxy cement and then thin it with acetone or alcohol. Apply to the handle using a small paint brush. The acetone or alcohol (solvent) will thin the glue so that it can permeate the cracks and pores in the bone. The solvent evaporates, allowing the glue to set. Be careful to not glue the knob to the handle post. (You probably will want to spin the knob from time to time as the glue sets, just to be careful.)
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote:Finding hairline cracks in ivory and bone handle knobs is common. Unless the cracks are severe, I would leave it like it is. I think it's a nice cosmetic feature that shows the age of the reel.
I totally agree with Ron. Mild cracks in an ivory or bone grasp is kind of like a nice patina on brass.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990