Saved Reflex No.1 French Allcock's Spinning Reel

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Saved Reflex No.1 French Allcock's Spinning Reel

Post by desertangler »

This one took some work, but I really am pleased with how it turned out - a little diamond in the rough. I purchased it from ORCAn Matt Lollman's eBay store, Fin and Flame. This reel was also marketed by Allcock's and you can find them with the same markings as mine but also stamped with the Allcock's logo. She needed a lot of work - removal of serious aluminum corrosion, cleaning internals, straightening a bent and cracked frame, straightening a knob shaft, and a serious knob repair. It was nice to see the decorative metal work hiding under the yuck. It's now in working order :D It's a strange reel, an "automatic spinning" reel, later replaced by the Allcock's Easicast. It has a little wire spring arm that automatically releases a drum brake when casting or reeling in. The brake is automatically and gradually applied as your cast slows, preventing spool overruns. It took me a while to figure out how to use it. Thankfully I found a video of a fellow centerpin casting with the line feeding from the top of the spool. Yep, it's weird :lol: The reel is mounted for left hand wind, but you reel in backwards (clockwise). I tried centerpin casting with it without luck. I then tried overhead casting with a 1 ounce weight and it worked pretty well! Amazingly, it didn't overrun. One project reel down, many, many, more to go :lol:

Tight lines,

George

Before

After

:fished Reely Easy Going ORCA Member
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Saved Reflex No.1 French Allcock's Spinning Reel

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Wow! That turned out really nice, George. Did those come with the swirling from Allcocks?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Great rescue, George! Maybe the quandary re winding direction is because it was designed to fish “rings up”??

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Love it! Nice reel nice cleanup! Love seeing an old piece brought back!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Beautiful rehab. There's a special satisfaction that comes with restoring old stuff, reel, guns, bikes, knives, etc.
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

Thanks Tom! Yes, I have seen at least one Allcock's branded reel with the swirling on the spool, but not on the back of the reel.

George
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

Thanks Gents!

John, you could be correct, so I will have to try that out. The reel is pretty stout and it sure felt awkward upright! But hey, if it works, great! :lol:

George
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

desertangler wrote:Thanks Gents!

John, you could be correct, so I will have to try that out. The reel is pretty stout and it sure felt awkward upright! But hey, if it works, great! :lol:

George
Well I tried it on a baitcasting rod, and it was about the same. At least it was nice reeling in clockwise :lol: