Need help with Heddon 200 Spin Pal Underspin

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Need help with Heddon 200 Spin Pal Underspin

Post by Skip »

I got another Heddon 200. It's in nicer shape than the first one but the anti-reverse doesn't work. I found a spring loose in the gearbox I'm fairly sure should be loading the anti-reverse, but I can't figure out how to disassemble the reel any further.

I have the spool off but that's as far as I can get. The transfer bar that oscillates the spool is attached to a part that is on the inside of the spool housing and I can't figure out how to take it apart. I can't get the worm gear out so I can get to the anti-reverse mechanism with the transfer bar in the way.

I can't find a schematic that might help me understand how this thing is put together. If anyone is familiar with this reel and can help, I'd appreciate it.

Pics show the reel (that's actually the first one I got) and the gearbox of this reel. You can see where I found the stray spring in the lower right part of the gearbox just above the transfer bar, and in the following pic I removed the spring. Final pics show the transfer bar and the part it connect to in the spool housing in extended and retracted positions.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Need help with Heddon 200 Spin Pal Underspin

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The oscillation bar appears to have to be disconnected in the rotor housing, probably behind the silver, or, more than likely the black plate. It's hard to tell from the photos since they're all from the same side & angle but it looks like there may be some sort of U clip in the slot in the top of the gray shaft bushing/fitting shown in the last 3 photos. If so, that may be what releases all those inside rotor parts so they can be removed. Otherwise, maybe there's a clip behind the black drag plate that can be accessed from the cutout in the housing?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Thanks Tommy, there was a black wire clip in that groove I had missed. In my defense, my vision isn't what it once was and I usually use a 300 lumen headlamp when I'm working on stuff like this. But mine failed and I was too lazy to go dig the spare out of storage. After I realized I had missed the clip I got off my butt and dug the spare out.

So I got it apart. Pics tell the story. That little spring was a pain to keep in place while I reassembled the gearbox. I took the opportunity to clean out a lot of the excess grease and replace it with some Abu Silicote PTFE Reel Lube and Reel Oil. It runs nicely now.

I'd still like to find a schematic if anyone has one or runs across one.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Glad it worked out, Skip. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027