Roddy disassembly advice

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
ron.dunn
Big ORCA Fan

Roddy disassembly advice

Post by ron.dunn »

I feel almost embarrassed to ask this question about a C (or lower) grade reel, but I need some advice on how to disassemble past this point.

The reel is a 60s Japanese Roddy 110. I bought it to practice before attempting a better example.

I've got almost everything off but the gear train.

I appear to be blocked by the pin on which the lever pivots, highlighted in my top comment. How would you get this pin off/out? I can drill it, but I wonder if there is a better technique that has escaped me.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Roddy disassembly advice

Post by john elder »

I would think you could knock that pin out with a punch from one side or the other....this is a hairy problem....Harry, where are you??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

I actually have some reels like that but don't remember tearing into them .
If there is no place on the other side to do like John says then I would think the pin is free floating and should drop out when loosened up with some penetrate.

The pinion on some of these will then pull out BUT some are pressed in to the housing and require a bit more persuasion .

Now I BET a dollar to a do-nut that Midway Tommy has the complete story on one of these Buggers.

Never feel embarrassed to ask questions here. All of us have had Quandaries like this and there are NO DUMB Questions just some dumb answers :mrgreen:
ron.dunn
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ron.dunn »

The hole is blind, not visible from the other side of the reel, so the penetrant idea is good.

I also thought about trying something like an epoxy or Gorilla Glue, and fixing a wire to the pin so I could apply a little force. The surface area might be too small, but still worth a try.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Never worked on one of those but it is fairly obvious that it is a pivot pin that just lays in the hole. It should slide out when popping the open side in the palm of your hand but if it doesn't then there is more than likely old grease or corrosion preventing it from sliding out easily. Have you lightly tapped the pin sideways in to see if it will move and loosen in up? Try the penetrating oil first and if it won't loosen up then lay it open side up and put a little vinegar on the post and let it sit overnight to soak in around the pin. To get the pin to slide I would use a thin blade, like from an X-ACTO or utility knife, put it between the frame and push button and use friction to try to slide the pin out far enough to get a pliers on it.

Be patient and you will get it out. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I would put the pin over a hole in a block of wood, then lightly tap the reel against the block while thumbing the thumber in and out. That should get it started enough that you can grasp it with pliers, especially after applying penetrant.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Looks to me if you wrapped the casting knob in painters tape ( unless it's metal) , hosed down the inside with carb cleaner , let it sit for an hour, blew the carb cleaner out with compressed air, dug the hard grease out with a coffee stirrer, then swabbed the rest of the carb cleaner out, relubed, and greased , You should be ready to go and won't have to mess with the pin removal. Does this win the ORCA run on sentence reward? If this ruins your reel John Elder told me how to do it- not.lol.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
g,h. block
Advanced Board Poster

Post by g,h. block »

possible there is a small hairpin snap on the pin between the button and casting?
ron.dunn
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ron.dunn »

g,h. block wrote:possible there is a small hairpin snap on the pin between the button and casting?
*ouch* ... I didn't think of that ... time to break out my little USB microsope probe and try to see if there's anything hiding around the lever.
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

ron.dunn wrote:
g,h. block wrote:possible there is a small hairpin snap on the pin between the button and casting?
*ouch* ... I didn't think of that ... time to break out my little USB microsope probe and try to see if there's anything hiding around the lever.
IF I recall now that I think about it that push button was held in by the screw itself and was a long one that went all the way through and it most likely has broken when removing .
SOOOOOOOOO look closley at the end of the pieces an see .

Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

I blew the pic up a bit and unfortunately it SURE looks to me like it is sheared and you need to break out the minie drill bits :shock:

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Harry Verdurchi wrote:I blew the pic up a bit and unfortunately it SURE looks to me like it is sheared and you need to break out the minie drill bits :shock:

If that is actually the case this smallest easy out extraction combo should do the trick. They are easy to find at Ace (or any other hardware store), Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, etc.

Once you get it out you could file a little slot in the top for straight screwdriver utilization rather than trying to find a replacement. :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Midway Tommy D wrote:
Harry Verdurchi wrote:I blew the pic up a bit and unfortunately it SURE looks to me like it is sheared and you need to break out the minie drill bits :shock:

If that is actually the case this smallest easy out extraction combo should do the trick. They are easy to find at Ace (or any other hardware store), Lowes, Menards, Home Depot, etc.

I use Reverse Drill Bits on small stuff like that and usually when I get about 3-5 mm deep after of course using a quality penetrate the culprit will back out with the drilling motion then I gotta figure out how to remove it from my bit without breaking it in pieces and yes I have quite a few broken bits.............KEY thing is to use a Good Center Punch to start the drilling in Center . Of course any ol CNC Bridgeport Machine would drill it right out once you center and clamp it down .
Bigger bolts like on the end of a Crankshaft I put a washer to the hole and fill it with weld to the end of the broken bolt then tack a nut on top of the washer and with the heat and sweat it will come right out .
Hopefully I am wrong and it is just a slip fit pin but without seeing the cover and a better close-up of the reel it is mere speculation on my part . There should be enough info on this thread now to GIT ER DONE...lol
ron.dunn
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ron.dunn »

Harry Verdurchi wrote:There should be enough info on this thread now to GIT ER DONE...lol
Exactly. Work in progress, will report back when complete.

Thank you for all the great suggestions.
MGrallert
Big ORCA Fan

Post by MGrallert »

I know this is months old now but I'm new to the sight. Not new to figuring things out thought. If you haven't solved the blind pin problem yet. You might try penetrating solvent, let it sit and see if a rare earth magnate will pull it out. My guess is the body is white metal. Just a thought.
M