Oil ...

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Oil ...

Post by reelsmith. »

I've recently had a similar experience with two reels, one a Talbot and one a Meek.

Both ran okay, but neither one ran as well as I knew they were meant too. So I took them apart, cleaned all parts with acetone, cleaned out the bearings and then added what I thought was a tiny amount of oil.

Both reels ran worse when I put them back together.

I took the Meek (#2 tournament reel) apart again. Cleaned out all of the oil I had added. Got everything dry as a bone.

Then I put a single drop of oil on a Q-Tip, squished it with my fingers to wring it out and then lightly brushed all moving parts. After reassembly the reel spins like a top !

Has anyone else experienced this ? It seems the proper amount of oil is hardly any at all.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Re: Oil ...

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Yes--but only in reels such as yours with very fine tolerances. I used to be amazed at the number of these reels that had no provisions for oiling them other than disassembly. Now I know why--LOL
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Not sure what type of oil you're using, Dean, but most of the reel techs these days, on user reels, have gone strictly to synthetic oils like CorrosionX, TSI 321, etc. for just that reason. There's been a lot of advancement in lubrication over the last decade or so. I don't see any reason why an old reel should be burdened with old obsolete lubes.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Some sage advice:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Huh. I never got the memo. Shame on Sage for not telling me !

:wink:

Thanks Steve, Bill and Tommy.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

That rule holds well with grease, probably even more so. As Ed Scharf pointed out in his article on lubricants in the reel restoration manual, if you get done and you can see the lubricant, it’s probably too much!

Now, the big question is that knowing this, why do I keep going back to the “ more is better” method?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

That is exactly why i prefer when my customers are ok with lubed for life bearings. Too much lube is very detrimental for almost anything.
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!