How to get to ball bearings of Dam quick 110

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
MaximaMan527
Big ORCA Fan

How to get to ball bearings of Dam quick 110

Post by MaximaMan527 »

I just got a DAM quick 110 and wanted to clean it up as much as I can. I got as far as having only the main shaft, body and the rotating head, but I can't remove the rotating head to get to the ball bearings. I took off the hex nut and washer under it, but the head still won't come off. Am I missing a pin or something?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: How to get to ball bearings of Dam quick 110

Post by Midway Tommy D »

MaximaMan527 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:49 pm I just got a DAM quick 110 and wanted to clean it up as much as I can. I got as far as having only the main shaft, body and the rotating head, but I can't remove the rotating head to get to the ball bearings. I took off the hex nut and washer under it, but the head still won't come off. Am I missing a pin or something?
Yes, you are missing something. It is also threaded onto the pinion worm gear. You'll need to be careful because the threads are very fine. It's an aluminum rotor so if you cross thread it onto the steel pinion worm gear you will most likely ruin the rotor.

Also, once you get that far the bearing will more than likely be stuck onto the pinion. If so you will need to place the pinion between two blocks of wood or drill a hole in one and support it up off of your table. Install the nut even with the threaded end of the pinion to protect the threads and support the bearing (both races) on the wood and, with a hammer and another block of wood, tap the end of the pinion to drive it off the bearing. You could eliminate installing the nut if you have a good hard block like oak or end grain of a softer wood like pine. It wouldn't hurt to add a little penetrating oil at the bearing/pinion joint but they're usually not corroded, just a tight fit that has strengthened over time.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
MaximaMan527
Big ORCA Fan

Post by MaximaMan527 »

Sorry for the late reply. Forgot to turn on reply notifications and thought no one answered.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the head to budge from the worm gear thread. :| Still, thanks for the help Midway. If you or anyone else has pictures of what to do from where I'm at, please share.
MaximaMan527
Big ORCA Fan

Post by MaximaMan527 »

[img[/img]
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The only additional advice I can offer is that you will have to secure the pinion from turning to get the rotor to release. You've already removed the nut so you know the pinion thread orientation. If you have removed the main gear you will more than likely have to reinstall it to help with blocking the pinion. There are ways to block/wedge the main gear rotation on stubborn, stuck, rotors but be careful not to damage the gear. Sometimes locking the anti-reverse will do the trick. Another option would be to unpin the handle from the main gear shaft, which needs to be done anyway to clean the main gear thoroughly, if you haven't already done so and hold the main gear flat area in a vice or with vice-grips. If you go that route make sure the main gear can't slide sideways.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
MaximaMan527
Big ORCA Fan

Post by MaximaMan527 »

I got it! Thank you for the suggestion. Now I can finally clean out the reel.
MaximaMan527
Big ORCA Fan

Post by MaximaMan527 »