DAM Quick 331N bail arm repair

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Koel
Big ORCA Fan

DAM Quick 331N bail arm repair

Post by Koel »

Good day everyone. I have a quick question. I have a DAM Quick 331N reel that I love using. Worked just fine until I got some line wrapped along the main shaft under the spool. In my haste to handle the problem I for some reason took off the screw to the bail wire. Then realizing I only had to take the spool off I attempted to put the bail arm back together. Unfortunately I didn't take note of arm orientation and how to get it back on without over straining the spring. I also don't know if the spring tension is when it compresses or loosens. Anyone out there know how to get this back on without damaging or a video that shows it. (I have not been able to find one of this model online yet.) Thank you for all of your help!

Jono Koel
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: DAM Quick 331N bail arm repair

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The bail spring orientation only works one way so you can't put it in backwards.

The sideways extension goes in the slot in the spring housing and the up extension goes in the bail arm.

Completely remove the bail from the rotor. Disconnect the bail nut and remove the line roller from the bail arm. Install the spring into the spring pocket and then install the bail arm. Next install the bail and opposite side bail plate. You'll have to wedge or hold the bail trip lever back to position the bail to connect it to the bail arm. Make sure you check the bail for correct alignment before tightening the nut. You may have to bend and adjust the bail a little for optimum fit. The bail roller stud should line up perfectly, without tension, with the hole in the bail arm prior to inserting it into the hole and installing the nut. Perfect bail alignment is crucial for smooth and consistent bail closure. I recommend not using grease or oil on bail springs as they collect dirt and eventually slow down bail operation. Personally, I use ArmorAll and add a little if the spring needs some lubrication at a later date.

Most people try to take a short cut by not taking the bail mechanism apart. That short cut almost always leads to ruined bail springs, and actually takes longer than taking them completely apart and putting them back together.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Koel
Big ORCA Fan

Re: DAM Quick 331N bail arm repair

Post by Koel »

Dear Tom;

Thank you very much for your rapid reply. I knew it had to be something simple as I was working fine until I messed with it. The photos were great as I could see I simply had the bail arm flipped.

Somewhere in my setting them aside I must have flipped it over and that just wasn't working. It's back together on my grandfathers old pole, working fine and ready to roll. Thanks again!!!