Pflueger Templar 1419 Drag Disks?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Spooled Again
Big ORCA Fan

Pflueger Templar 1419 Drag Disks?

Post by Spooled Again »

Hello everyone, congratulations on a great site with a tremendous amount of very useful and, at times, even humorous, information. Heh.
I've just recently discovered this group because I've just recently acquired a Pflueger Templar 1419 for 50 bucks from a little antique store just outside of Houston, TX.
I tried to do a little reasearch on the reel because I knew nothing about it and wanted to clean it up without hurting it any and do some fishing with it.
I've gone through a number of threads and gathered quite a few tips from your site, thank you, and have even ordered some of that Salt-X stuff someone recommended (it has very, very little green stuff on it).
My question is, once I get this cleaned up and start to put it back together, are there any disk drags that this thing uses and if so, where can I get some or what can I use as replacements? (size, number, combinations, etc.)
Sorry for this long winded-ness, I'm a cherry at this, but any and all info will help, and thanks to you all.
And who knows, after seeing all the great reels everyone has gathered, I just might get the bug and try my hand at this collecting stuff! This Templar would be an ok start, wouldn't it?
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

look for a Williams drag handle.

also, here's my recommended cleaning procedure (and I can't take credit for it, it came from fishbugman):

Household white vinegar. One part diluted into 4 parts hot (or finger-warm) water. Soak the parts, and take a toothbrush to the parts every 10 minutes.

Up to an hour on painted or lead-finished reels. Up to three hours on brass reels. Some time in between on nickel-plated reels and to maintain patinas on solid brass reels.

(painted brass is right out - use only dilute soapy water on painted brass)

Follow the vinegar bath with a rinse, then a soapy water soak, (again with the toothbrush). Final rinse, air dry. Rub everything with a guncloth, lube and reassemble.

If you really want to rub, lastly use a metal polish such as Simichrome or Pol. Very lightly - rub in just a bit then rub it all out. You can also use metal polish on the disassembled parts between the vinegar bath and soapy water bath.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Spooled,

I think you got off to a great start as these reels are my favorite! Being that you mention the model number 1419, it sounds like you might have the later version of the Templar as the earlier ones with the Williams drag that Ron McC mentions did not have those model numbers on them. To confirm your reel, it may look like this one:

If that is the case, I've known guys to stamp out washers from thin leather and use those with great success. Otherwise, the original washers were a fiber material that looked like "micarta" and the closest thing you might find is probably the Penn HT-100 drag material. I don't know if you can find them in sizes close enough to alter as I've never tried to replace them.

If I'm off the mark here on your particular Templar model, let me know and we can talk about the drag on the earlier one. Hope this helps.
Spooled Again
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Spooled Again »

Aloha Brian, and Ron, and thanks to you both for your help. That cleaning procedure sounds easy enough, i'm clearing my work bench off right now to start on this little project.
Brian, those are some fabulous looking reels you have there, really nice!
Mine is like the one on the right, with the torpedo looking handle. The handle on mine is almost a white or cream color. The reel seems to be in good working condition, the buttons and levers work, clicker is good and the leather thumb break seems to be in pretty good shape too. I think with a good cleaning and lubing, it'll make a good fisher.
I hope the disks in there now, if there are any, will help me pattern some out of some thin leather, as you suggest. I wonder how many disks it will take. I'm guessing it all matters on thickness of the leather. What are your recommendations on total thickness of all disks combined? Quarter inch, eigth, half? I haven't looked in there yet, i'll be doing that this weekend, so i really don't know.
Also, since this this is a much older reel, and I can't tell, what line weight recommendations do you have? We usually surf fishing in the Gulf of Mexico near Port Aransas and Corpus Christi, Texas. I'm planning on kayaking some bait out from this thing and see what it can muscle in, later on this summer.
Thanks again guys, you really have a great site going on here, and I appreciate your time and your knowledge shared.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I don't have any of those reels apart at the moment and can't seem to remember how thick the discs are but I do have the instructions with a schematic that I'll have to dig up. It would be really unusual if the drag discs were missing so you should have a pattern to follow.

We've used up to 80 lb test mono but that will probably be too little line for your purposes. I understand you use 40 or 50 lb. test at the very most and it should hold enough 40 to be safe. I'd compare it to a Penn 113H for capacity?

Really important to remember, especially if using mono, that if you fight a large fish (shark or ray) to pull out the line and wind it back in with normal tension as the line will be stretched during the fight. If not, the spool may "split" or break apart and the flanges will jamb into the plates from the added compression caused by the line's memory. That's not a problem for modern 1-piece spools but this spool is made up of four pieces.

Also, don't use the leather thumber on mono - it will chaffe and burn the nylon.

It makes a super tough fishing reel, albeit a bit slow on the retrieve ratio, and many trevally and shark over 100 lbs were caught during it's day. I know of at least one other fellow in Texas that was using this reel to yak baits out too. I think he was using the larger 1420 1/2 model but can't remember what size line he was using. That model is a little smaller than the size of a 9/0.

Wishing you lots of fish!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

oops, sorry Brian, your bailiwick - I was thinking about the older Pfluegers. I'm still looking for a Williams Drag for my Oceanic.
Spooled Again
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Spooled Again »

Thanks, Brian, but don't go through too much trouble to dig those instructions up, i'm sure those discs are in there and i'll be able to replicate those with leather ones if need be.
And thanks for the line weight recommendations. Yes, we usually run the 30 to 40 pound for anything big. We seem to encounter a lot of black tip and bull sharks here and so far the 30-40 has held.
And thank you also for the guidelines on protecting the spool, that is usefull information I didn't have. You're a wealth of knowledge and I'm sure I'd have lost a good fish if I'd used the leather thumber for any kind of braking! I especially appreciate that tip!
Well, I'll let you know how this thing cleans up and does for me on our next run to the coast. I really appreciate everyone's help, y'all!
Oh, by the way, what is a "trevally"? Is that what you're holding up in your picture, Brian? That thing is HUGE!
MrStandfast
Big ORCA Fan

Post by MrStandfast »

I have found a source for vulcanised fibre sheet, o.o3in. thick, which I think would work well for reel drag washers:

http://jantzsupply.com/cartease/item-de ... m?ID=MI902

I think it is stiff enough to stick a piece to a flat piece of wood or metal if you have to, and grind it thinner on abrasive paper similarly treated, without gluing the central bit you will eventually use. Leather might be a bit difficult to thin evenly. I'd be wary of trusting most plastic products for the sort of heat that could be generated in drag washers. But thin card impregnated with superglue might be worth a try.

The rest of the Jantz website is well worth searching around, for unusual tools, materials, polishes etc.