Repair of spacers on a Shake Standard Professional

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Repair of spacers on a Shake Standard Professional

Post by Reelman2 »

Is ther any way to repair spacers that have cracked into on some of these reels. Are the spacers bakelite or plastic.

Bill
Jack Bright
Advanced Board Poster

Spacers/repair

Post by Jack Bright »

I believe they are hard rubber, repair ? Don`t think so. . . glue and pressure ? Hope some more experienced one can advise you, I`m just
guessing.
Reelman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman »

I believe most of those spacers are made of early plastic. Plastic has a big problem with sun light and heat. Even a lot of the newer plastics can have the same problem. Except when they are made for sun light and heat. Even the plastic used in Shop Vac vacuums break down and become very brittle with less then a year in the sun and weather. As I found out when I took the reject tanks home and left them outside. And most plastics continue to shrink. As the spacers dry out over the years. Just looks at the early river runts. And as a lot of people that collect Shakespeare and South Bend as well as lots of other reels are know. There is no way to fix them short of putting a new spacers on. Sooner or later somebody is going to make molds for the spacers and new ones will made. And then we will be trying to figure out if the spacer on the reel in our hand will be a reproduction or original.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Are you talking about early Shakes with the dark brown inserts or are you talking about the later ones with "marbling"-type spacers? I believe that the early ones, as Jack indicated, are likely hard rubber and there is hope for at least stabilizing them with file shavings from an old sideplate, mixed with epoxy, followed by sanding and shaping. The plastic ones, as Reelman pointed out, get brittle and repair is problematic, to put politely. Slipping in a little clear epoxy is about the most you can do, I believe.
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Probably hard rubber.

Post by Reelman2 »

The spacers are dark black. The reel is a GS 1924 Standard Professional.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I have a couple 23053s and and a 43053 with similar spacers, but mine are all light black :D ..at any rate, I'd try the rubber dust/epoxy repair...it should some out dark enough. And a trick I've used is to spike it with a little dark walnut stain, which is usually all it takes to color match.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

and watch it if you buy a reel from John. jester
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Those spacers are hard rubber. At any rate the following repair works well on either if it is only a clean break (no lost material). Clean the ring thourghly. Clean the area to be repaired with Dawn dishwashing detergent under running water and dry. Next, clean it with rubbing alcohol. Use a toothpick to work some Eastman 910 or one of the other "Miracle" adhesives into the crack. Use a nylon tie wrap around the outside to hold the crack closed. Allow to dry overnight. The adhesive will not stick to the nylon. Remove the tie wrap and polish smooth. You will not find the crack and it will be as strong as new.
Don