Cleaning rod hardware

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Cleaning rod hardware

Post by john elder »

I just got some line guides with agate guides. I was thinking about a vinegar soak to clean up the metal...do you think this will have a bad effect on the agate?..anyone tried this?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

thanks to all that responded :D I took a chance and did a couple this AM...seemed to work fine...at least for the immediate century.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Sooooo, can we be privy to what suggestions you got and what you ended up doing?
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

I agree with Brian. The purpose of this message board is to share information. That's why ORCA has this board. Why send John an email or PM and not share your information with your fellow collectors.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

What's my name, Brian?...Johnny Wize-what? Got not responses, so just tried the 1:4 vinegar/water mix for half an hour...got the crud off the metal with no obvious ill effects on the agate guide.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

:lol: Ooooops! That went right over our heads, Elder! :lol:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I'll be honest...the vinegar loosened up a lot of the oxidation on the metal without loosening or otherwise harming the agate., but I had to spend some time with Simichrome to bring them to where they ended up.. they are all ready for mounting on a couple saltwater wooden rods, which are Projects #16 and 17 for '07...Now, if I can ever catch up...

Before:

After:

Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

wow not only did they clean up nicely they multiplied! amazing. Nice job they look great. i have a few rods that need cleaning i'll keep in your results in mind.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I know I'm late - been out of town - working even

had no problems with agates in reels from vinegar wash.

painted copper is the very tough one; also have had ebonite and ernoid swell, but I believe that material was already attacked by old lubricants.
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

YOu GUYS WORK TOOO HARD!!!

Post by SWIM JIG »

:shock: :o :? :wink: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :type: jump yay-banana canadian usa , You guys must have loads of spare time on your hands!? If you are going to do a lot of Reels, Rod eyes, Hooks, or even painted Lures, get youself a vibrator tumbler like they use to polish shell casings for reloading! the get the green corn cob mix, ( Note red will work however its a bit messy to get off the parts! We knock off the green and other corosion with a small brass brush (never a spinning one) or you can use Bronze Wool put out by homax company (www.homaxproducts.com) any parts that have screw holes we plug those with tissue paper! next with all your parts taken off the reel etc or the rod eyes , put the things in the polisher, and go do something more construtive! to check the guides for cuts or snags, use Q-TIPS the cotton kind, if cotton sticks then you some choices, 1, polish it out or 2, and we doit all the time , get some high grade 2 part epoxy and place in the crack or snag , let it dry for 24 hrs and the guide should last for several years! Also the Vibro Plex machine will not harm plastic side plates etc! As for metal reels? there are No BUF MARKS LEFT or Swirl marks left! I would rather FISH than work! Your ohio conection On Lake ERIE, Col. milton lorens aka SWIM JIG