a new thought on "restored" reels

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
justin crouse
Big ORCA Fan

a new thought on "restored" reels

Post by justin crouse »

hey all,

so in my absence i've been looking at my parts box and i can see a couple of 'frankenreel' possibilities.

let me present this. if i put together one reel out of all original run parts of a specific reel model, is it authentic?

i would think so. it is period accurate, and shouldn't that be the ultimate goal from a collection standpoint? is there any detraction caused by the fact that it took five original collection of components to make one that is representative?

i look forward to your thoughts.

Justin
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Parts got replaced and reels repaired all the time, assuming they got used. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with making them right. I think the only time that sort of thing would be inappropriate is when a reel is "restored", then tried to be passed off as NIB or MIB. MHO
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

I agree with John...On some reels you have to pay attention to small detail when replacing parts, i.e. the size of the screw head, whether or not there is lettering on the level wind, markings on the tail plate or foot for whichever era reel it is (some Pflueger reels), and things of that nature...Jerry
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I think Justin is talking about assembling a whole reel from parts and I see nothing wrong with that. Except, as John mentioned, if trying to pass on as new from the factory. But, technically, it is a "new" reel. Put it this way, if it was done for a reel I like, I'd buy it either way but not sure what effect that would have on my idea of it's value.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/

This has become a hot topic in the UK and on Clark's board. They ARE making new old reels from new old Hardy parts and apparently are making these reels with Hardy's blessing - or at least some have been granted access to Hardy's shop and old stock parts.

is this an example ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0145210231 ?
Or a refurbished reel without disclosure? I certainly doubt this is the original condition of this reel.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ron...gotta ask...what makes you suspicous re a re-furb? Looks gorgeous and as they say, unused...and if it never got used, that's what it would look like...guess the only thing that would make me wonder is what happened to the box and case if it's that nice and unused...but it wouldn't be the first time such things parted company, eh?
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

The lead finish is too perfect, and the alloy foot too bright. I believe the foot is new, as is the lead finish.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

here's a comparison for you, John.

A reel that the seller discloses to be in newly restored condition.

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0127041927