Cleaning Hard rubber side plates?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Cleaning Hard rubber side plates?

Post by BirdDog »

What' the best method for cleaning off the oxidation on hard rubber etc. side plates
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I use a product called Fluid Film...it's a lanolin-based spray that is sold as a rust preventative and it works well on rubber products, as well as metal parts. If you can't find it locally, you can get it on the internet...just google it up.
Break down the whole reel and spray it with the product on a newspaper...leave it for anywhere from an hour to overnight. Then take clean paper towels and wipe off the excess. it's kinda like wood finish in that it will penetrate the rubber and seep back out, so give it additional wipes with fresh paper towels once or twice more over a day or so. i think you'll be pleased...I've used this technique on lots of reels and have had only good results. It will also clean and lubricate the metal parts and keep them from oxidizing, as well.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

If the oxidation is really bad, you can follow up with Simichrome, a metal polish that works really well too. I usually just do the whole reel with it, hard rubber/bakelite and all.
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

I will give them them a try. I have the simichrome and it works great on metal. Fluid Film is avialible through JD dealers ,so I should be able to find that also.

Don