Using a Drill

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
ReelMan1988
Super Board Poster

Using a Drill

Post by ReelMan1988 »

I've been told to use a drill on the posts, and it works ok. But is there anything out there that I can use to hold the post better? I tried cardboard, plastic (It slips), and cloth (Slips). I need like a tough rubber...?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I think Milt suggested a leather belt. There are also those plastic grippers around that are used to hold and twist off can lids would likely do you...but you're scaring me with that drill! What in the world are you doing with it? :shock:
Bronco
Frequent Board Poster

Drill Polishing

Post by Bronco »

What I use successfully is that clear vinyl hose used for ice makers or water flow -- comes in many different sizes, and is real cheap -- goes a long way. Tighten the chuck and polish away (slow speed only, otherwise you might burn through something you wish you hadn't) -- then swap ends. Leather would work also -- it just isn't as easy when you have a bunch of posts to do at once.

Best, Fred
ReelMan1988
Super Board Poster

Post by ReelMan1988 »

Well, to polish the spool and posts. I place each post in the drill and it rotate's making it easier and faster. Works perfectly!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

ah...yes, Fred, the tygon-type tubing is ideal for that type of use and will keep the x-member safe. I misunderstood and thought John was referring to post removal, which was what Milt was saying as to how to keep the post from turning whilst removing a screw.
gadabout
Advanced Board Poster

Post by gadabout »

The other day I had the idea that a small piece of plastic drinking straw put over the post before chucking it in the drill might work. I tried it tonight and it worked fine. In this case I chucked it into my lathe and used a piece of Miracle Cloth to clean/polish the post.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I bought a set of nylon-jaw tubing pliers from www.ishor.com
I used them to disassemble a Golden West with cantankerously over-tightened pillar screws.
Since then, I find myself using them a lot to hold parts for drilling.
http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif ... nBrass.htm
MrStandfast
Big ORCA Fan

Post by MrStandfast »

heat-shrink plastic tubing will contract to grip the post firmly when heated, and is available in a wide range of sizes. There are special products, mostly large diameter, for various sporting equipment, including fishing rods, but what is needed for this purpose is the hard, rubbery variety obtainable from the shops which sell to electricians. a piece of copper wire hammered and filed to an edge will slit it for removal.
cws/carl schultz
Advanced Board Poster

drills

Post by cws/carl schultz »

drills work realy well for cleaning and polishing spools also VERY CARFULLY can even out a wood or cork arbor
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I've mentioned this before. For REMOVING the post use a small drill CHUCK (buy a replacement chuck), not attached to a drill. Tighten the chuck on the reel post and turn it couter-clockwise using hand pressure. This is the safest way to remove the post without harming it. If the chuck were to slip on the post it was not meant to be removed anyway. The only way this would leave marks on the post is if it were to slip which would indeed take a lot of pressure. Using an electric drill to remove a post scares me too!
BirdDog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BirdDog »

In the circumstances that a drill chuck cannot be used. I have taken rubber splicing tape and wrapped it tightly around the post. The more you wrap and increase the diameter, the more mechanical advantage or leverage is achieved. With this method I have been able to remove the posts with just my fingers. The rubber splicing tape sticks to itself without adhesive and I have had no problems or damage from removing it from a post.

**Please note that rubber splicing tape is not the common vinyl electrical tape or friction tape**

Don