Quick 110 spinning reel

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
fxxxy
Frequent Board Poster

Quick 110 spinning reel

Post by fxxxy »

Need help! Drag on this reel very tight, upon disassembly found that shaft into spool extremely tight, apparently shaft thickness is over size, or spool opening is under size. I have no idea how this could happen... Do i need a new shaft or a new spool, or both?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

the drag stack is in wrong and locked up, most likely...when you loosen the drag, then pull out line, does the drag tighten down so you can't pull line? I've had 3 DAM spools pull that on me...the drag stack gets put back in wrong. If this is your problem, I'll dig out the proper order for you that Jim Wiegner gave me.
fxxxy
Frequent Board Poster

Quick 110 drag

Post by fxxxy »

Can't pull any line without Godzilla helping. What is the drag stack? All I have is a short shaft that goes thru the spool, then has knob with nos. on it. Short shaft with clicker on the bottom does not turn inside the spool.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

the drag stack is inside the spool. Screw out the red knob on the outside face and you will see a series of washers inside...note the order of things as you take them out. I said the washers are in the wrong order, but when I did this last time, I also had to lube a couple of the washers ala Wiggy's instruction...perhaps that is the fatal flaw with this particular drag set-up...if it dries out, it mis-behaves...Hopefully, Wiggy will pipe up and/or Bill Brown or some other DAM maven that has had lots of experience with this issue (I've pestered Milt about this before, but all I got was that he hated the *D.A.M. reel* DAMS ;-] }. I've had two occasions where I had DAMs that seemed to be working perfectly before I left home, but immediately gave me problems at the lake because I had assumed the drag was free and working...I've now learned to check before it leaves the garage!
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Quick 110 spool

Hello fxxy:

The Quick 110 has a very simple drag assembly. From top to bottom there is the red brake nut (adjustment knob), a thin spring washer, a thin plated washer, and a thin clear nylon washer. It sounds like someone has lost some parts and buggered up your spool.

When kept clean and oiled, and assembled in the proper sequence, these drag systems should work very well. You might want to pick up another spool (often listed on ebay). Hope this helps.

Jim
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

More drag stuff

fxxy and John:

Just for laughs I opened up the spool/drag on my Penn 716Z Ultra Light Spinning Reel. And guess what? In their infinite wisdom, Penn used virtually the same design that Quick had used for years. A slightly stiffer spring washer, and a thin steel washer with a thin nylon washer on the bottom.

The Spinfishers share many design features with the early Quicks, and are, in my humble opinion, two of the the all time greats.

Jim
fxxxy
Frequent Board Poster

Quick 110 spool problem

Post by fxxxy »

Problem seems to be that when taking the spool apart, i. e., pulling the short shaft out from inside the spool, I found that the shaft is either too thick to allow the spool to turn , or the spool opening for the shaft is too small for the spool to turn on the shaft, Either way, even though the washers are correct, there is simply no way for the spool to rotate on the shaft. (Sure wish i knew the names of these parts) Spool is jammed on the short shaft. Can barely turn it with full force. Looks like somebody needed to substitute a differnt shaft, since spool is marked "110' I hope you guys can understand all this!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Does the reel housing turn properly and retrieve line? Is it just the drag that does not work?...i.e., the spool won't turn if you try to strip off line by hand?
Last edited by john elder on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

I believe fxxy's "short shaft that goes thru the spool" is what D.A.M. referred to as the "Brake ferrule" on a Quick 220 parts drawing. I'd have called it the brass hub inside the spool.

The plastic spool must glide easily when spun on this "ferrule" when no drag parts are acting on it. From what fxxy describes I gather that his spool will not spin easily & is binding tightly, even if the drag knob & discs are removed. I'd suspect either debris has been forced inside the bore thru the plastic spool, or the plastic itself has deformed somehow reducing it's inner diameter at some point. Less likely would be an unnoticed bur/ding in the brass. In this case I'd inspect the brass & file away any defect, or carefully ream the hole in the plastic spool so as to restore free spinning action. This can easily be done by selecting an appropriate sized twist drill & gently reaming by hand to remove any high spots.
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Quick 110 spool assembly

Araye50 makes an excellent point.
The spool has a brass bushing, and the tolerance between it and the brake spindle (shaft) is very close. After disassembling the drag nut and washers, spray the top of the spindle with WD-40 and let it soak for a bit, an then carefully twist the spool while holding the bottom of the spindle (with your fingers...not pliers).

After thorough cleaning and inspection for any burrs, or scoring in the bushing, put a few drops of light oil on the spindle and reassemble.

This should do the trick. And you can still pick up a good spare on ebay!

Jim
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

My "point" & my Quick 110 spool were constructed differently than you seem to interpret. My 110 spool is plastic & should spin freely on what D.A.M. refers to as the "Brake ferrule" what fxxy called "a short shaft that goes thru the spool". The 'very close tolerance' I questioned is directly "between" this "brass hub" & the plastic bore thru the spool itself.
Jim Wiegner wrote: Araye50 makes an excellent point.
The spool has a brass bushing, and the tolerance between it and the brake spindle (shaft) is very close.

Penn used virtually the same design that Quick had used for years
My suspicion is that either the "brass hub" has a defect like a "bur/ding" OR the plastic spool's bore has deformed or had debris forced into it. Either way mere "inspection" or "a few drops of oil" would be unlikely to restore free spinning. My "point" was that either the plastic spool's bore may need to be reamed OR a defect in the brass "Brake ferrule" may need to be filed. IMO fxxy's problem sounds like it calls for more than just "thorough cleaning". I presumed fxxy would've tried cleaning & oil.

IMO "The Spinfishers" spool "design" is fundamentally different than Quick's in these smaller models. These Quicks feature 'push button release' removeable spools, that don't alter drag settings, more similar to Mitchell 308, 300, 306. The hubs stay w/the spools, each spool retains it's own drag knob & setting. Conversely, Spinfisher spool removal requires the drag knob to be unscrewed completely off the axle & the single hub remains permanently affixed to the axle. Drag settings must be readjusted each time a spool is removed & the single drag knob is used w/spare spools. However the big Quick 550 is designed like this.
fxxxy
Frequent Board Poster

Quick 110 spool problem

Post by fxxxy »

Araye50 got it! That brass spindle does'nt even fit all the way inside the spool without a great deal of pressure. And will not "turn easily' at all! I will try to ream out the spool. Meanwhile, I found that a spare Microlite spool can be used until this mess gets resolved. Thanx to all you guys who chimed in! There is also a source for this part on line somwhere that i found yesterday. i may have to bite the bullet (shudder) and BUY one there Thanx again!
Jim Wiegner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jim Wiegner »

Spool stuff

Hello again fxxy:

The Quick 110, which was produced from 1967 through 1973, has a brass bushing inside of the spool (Part No. 1.00 405). The brake spindle (Part No. 1.00 376) fits inside of that bushing.

The Quick 110N, which was introduced in 1974, has several design changes, including the spool, which does not have a brass bushing. Either your reel is a 110N or someone replaced the original spool. In any event, if your brake spindle is clean, straight and free of any burrs or dings, it is most likely that your spool has been damaged, most likely by excessive heat.

Years ago while on a camping trip, I had my Mitchell and Alcedo reels inside of my Plano 747 tackle box, on the floor of my truck bed for a five hour trip to the mountains. When I later opened the tackle box I found the plastic spare spool container-and the spool, had both been deformed by excessive heat from the exhaust system which was right under the tackle box. The reels were not damaged, but the spare spool was toast.

As for the Penn 714 and 716, they do indeed have spools with the push button release.

Jim
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

At least Penn models 704, 710, 712, 722 in my collection are as I described. Jim is absolutely right about Penn 714 & 716. My mistake, I did not find these reels in my literature & they're not in my collection. Should've searched online.

I have no reason to believe "someone replaced the original spool" on my Quick 110 & am not likely to mistake a 110N for a 110. I double checked & there is NO "brass bushing inside the spool" for "The brake spindle" to fit inside. "The brake spindle" bears directly on the plastic spool's bore. The spool is marked 110. I wouldn't think you could install a 110N spool on a 110.

I'd be curious to know if fxxy's 110 spool has a "brass bushing inside the spool" in addition to the brass "hub" I described.