Marbleized Leonard Salmon Reel ... Before & After ...

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Marbleized Leonard Salmon Reel ... Before & After ...

Post by reelsmith. »

The owner of this reel wanted it cleaned up and to that end commissioned me to take care of it. While it is not the filthiest reel I've ever cleaned, it was darn close.

It was a lot of work ...but such a magnificent reel is well worth the effort. If you know of anyone that has a top-quality reel in need of a good bath and they are afraid to try it themselves, send them my way.

Dean.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Why didn't you straighten the bent foot pillar or dress up the screw heads?
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

fishbugman wrote:Why didn't you straighten the bent foot pillar or dress up the screw heads?
The foot pillar is not bent, trust me, since I'm the one holding the reel. As for the screws, I was not asked to fix them.*

Do you ever have anything positive to say ?

Dean.

* More specifically, I was instructed not to.
Last edited by reelsmith. on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice job, Dean, that's a great looking reel!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Brian F. wrote:Nice job, Dean, that's a great looking reel!
Thanks Brian !

I was a bit apprehensive when I got started ...but one of the wonderful things about nickel silver is its ability to clean up well ...usually.

Dean.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, fantastic redo, Dean! Do you think that reel was blued sometime in it's life, either originally or along the way? Or was that all just tarnish?

Would love to find a reel like that, but don't imagine I'll ever pull the trigger to buy one!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

john elder wrote:Yes, fantastic redo, Dean! Do you think that reel was blued sometime in it's life, either originally or along the way? Or was that all just tarnish?

Would love to find a reel like that, but don't imagine I'll ever pull the trigger to buy one!
Thanks, John.

It wasn't blued ...just good old-fashioned tarnish and filth.

Dean.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

great job, Dean!

Post by Richard Lodge »

Not only a fantastic reel, but a wonderful job cleaning it up without making it look artificially "new." Very nice work, Dean, and thanks for sharing the photos.
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Great job Dean. If I ever find a good un I know where to send it to get cleaned right...

Jerry
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: great job, Dean!

Post by reelsmith. »

Richard wrote:Not only a fantastic reel, but a wonderful job cleaning it up without making it look artificially "new." Very nice work, Dean, and thanks for sharing the photos.
Richard,

Having it still look old was important to both me and the reel's owner. There is something about a polished 100+ year old reel that's just not right. Cleaning it up without making it shiny is time consuming ...but well worth it in the end.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Dean.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Jerry J in OK wrote:Great job Dean. If I ever find a good un I know where to send it to get cleaned right...

Jerry
I'll be waiting :D
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

reelsmith. wrote:
fishbugman wrote:
Do you ever have anything positive to say ?
Geez...I was asking a simple question. There was nothing negative about my question. I was just curious why the reel looked only half as good as it could.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

fishbugman wrote:Geez...I was asking a simple question. There was nothing negative about my question. I was just curious why the reel looked only half as good as it could.
Well, you certainly are being negative with ...the reel only looked half as good as it could.

As Strother Martin would say ...what we have here is a failure to communicate.

Moderators ...please feel free to delete this post and the entire thread if I cross the line here, which I may well do.

Richard, there is a right way and a wrong way to say just about anything and on the Internet, where you do not have the benefit of being able to read facial cues or hear vocal intonation, word selection becomes critical. Having a BS in communications, communicating effectively is something I know a little about.

Let's take your initial question:

Why didn't you straighten the bent foot pillar or dress up the screw heads?

Your question implies that a poor job was done and the work is unfinished.

Here is another way to ask the same questions and not come across as having an attitude or being negative:

Is the foot pillar bent, or is it just the pictures that make it look that way? Also, I am curious, are you going to dress the screws?

As for the reel looking half as good as it should ...I wholeheartedly disagree, as apparently do all those that have replied in this thread and those that replied to my post on Clark's Classic Reel Forum. Most importantly, the owner of the reel is positively thrilled with the results ...and he is a fellow with exceptionally high standards.

As one fellow on Clark's Classic Reel Forum so aptly put it: Isn't it hugely satisfying when it starts to look like it should? (and knowing when to stop). Lovely reel, great work.

Dean.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Obviously, I asked a simple question. If you had communicated in your first post that you were told to leave the screws alone and were told to only half clean the reel so it still had an old look to it I would have never even asked the question. Maybe you should not read as much into what you "think" I meant and just answer the simple question I asked without making a big deal about it.

Obviously you are advertising your services as a reel cleaner and without providing the facts in first post that you were told not to over clean or over polish or dress the screws, it made it look like that was the best you could do although a lot more could have been done, if it was authorized. You have got to agree with that...?
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Great job Dean. Could not have been done any more perfectly.
Airexguy
Advanced Board Poster

Reel cleaning

Post by Airexguy »

Dean, as you stated in your first post; the owner wanted this reel "cleaned up". In my opinion you did an outstanding job and did not OVER DO the job by removing the screw head wear or small nicks. I can assure you I would recommend you anytime. Bob H.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks Joe and Bob.

Bob, it was very important to me not to over do it ...I'm glad you like the results.

Dean.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Dean,

I'm truly impressed and so were many, many others here in Louisville. Someone had an iphone and was showing your work around, and it was unanimous that it was just awesome.

Great job!

-- Dr. Todd
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Teal wrote:Dean,

I'm truly impressed and so were many, many others here in Louisville. Someone had an iphone and was showing your work around, and it was unanimous that it was just awesome.

Great job!

-- Dr. Todd
Very cool !

Thank you.

Nice to know I could supply some entertainment for the Nationals.

Dean.
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

It looks like someone made a great investment.
Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy
Super Board Poster

Post by Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy »

The reel looks JUST right, has some experence and has a look of being well maintained as well. Doesn't look like it is NIB which it shouldn't being the age that it is. A Great job restoring, and not over doing it. Again it Looks just right!
keebranch
Advanced Board Poster

Post by keebranch »

Dean,
I know I'm late to the game on this thread, but that reel is simply stunning. Sir, you do beautiful work.

Les
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Dean...and this would be why that compliment you offered on the Montague QUEEN that I cleaned recently, meant SO much to me. Yer a Master, with just the right touch! Impeccable Job!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

that-zebco-guy wrote:The reel looks JUST right, has some experence and has a look of being well maintained as well. Doesn't look like it is NIB which it shouldn't being the age that it is. A Great job restoring, and not over doing it. Again it Looks just right!
keebranch wrote:Dean,
I know I'm late to the game on this thread, but that reel is simply stunning. Sir, you do beautiful work.

Les
AutoFly (Rick) wrote:Dean...and this would be why that compliment you offered on the Montague QUEEN that I cleaned recently, meant SO much to me. Yer a Master, with just the right touch! Impeccable Job!
Thanks guys !

The reel is prominently featured in Hoagy Carmichael's new book "8", which has a wonderful chapter on Payne. The reel was used on the website as well ...

http://www.booksbycarmichael.com/8.html

Dean.