Replacing a Handle

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Kevin Kinnear
Frequent Board Poster

Replacing a Handle

Post by Kevin Kinnear »

Hi, recently bought an old Hendryx multiplier that I am cleaning. I soaked the reel in a vinigar water mix for a day or so and the gunk is coming off without having to disturb the patina. The only problem is the horn or bone handle had a crack in it and fell apart in the mixture while soaking. :cry: How do I pop the handles stem from the reel's handle to replace with new handle. Should I just try to find a replacement handle off another reel?
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Unless you see a screw head present then the handle pin is riveted on. These are very difficult for the average guy to replace since you will have to remove material to get the old pin out. Most of the time these pins are the same size over the full length except for the head. You can't satisfactorly rivet it again once yu remove it, but will have to replace the entire pin. To make a new pin you will need a metal cutting lathe. Have you tried glueing the broken parts back in place around the old pin? Wax the pin first to prevent the glue from sticking to it.