Penn 113H Spool scraping sound

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
LEF
Frequent Board Poster

Penn 113H Spool scraping sound

Post by LEF »

I jsut finished a Penn 113H rebuild and found a scraping noise in the spool. If the reel is held with the left side down it spins like a top. If the reel is held with the crank side down there is a scraping sound like the edge of the spool is hitting something. Does anyone know why, or what might be the most likely. I am thinking that:

It needs new clutch springs?
There is something wrong with the right side ball bearing?
The spool isn't centered?

Any insight would be greatlly appreciated.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Generally, this is caused by wear on the end of the spindle on the crank side of the spool. I have had a friend tig weld on the end, then reshape with a file and get it back to okay. Another trick fishermen used to use is to lob in a small bearing on that side to take up the space...of course, make sure the bearing cap on the crank side is all the way screwed in, then adjust by tightening the tailplate bearing cap. You might just want to pick up a new spool for that reel off ebay of here...they are relatively plentiful...upgrade to newell spool is advisable anyway, if it's going to get fished...hope this helps.
LEF
Frequent Board Poster

Post by LEF »

Thanks for the insight. The problem is i put a new spool in and it and the old are scaping. I have some new springs coming in, and if they don't work will try the bearing solution. I now have some idea of what is going wrong. Thanks again.
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

I seriously doubt clutch springs have any relation to "a scraping noise in the spool". Considering both a new & old spool scrape, my guess is the head plate is warped. This is fairly common w/Penn plastic side plates. Its often caused by an owner who tightens the backplate bearing so as to use it as a backlash control. This misuse puts pressure on the headplate which can gradually distort/dome the plastic, resulting in reducing the clearance between spool edge & trim ring area. Placing a shim inside the bearing's bore can recenter the spool.

I've also seen cases where the headplate bearing had failed & spun in the plastic routing it out. Repaired 1 of these using superglue.
steve399
Advanced Board Poster

Post by steve399 »

may or may not apply so take it FWIW,

I had a squiider with the same problem, turns out it was taken apart and the sideplate rings were mistakingly reversed when the reel was put back together. check that the right p/n is in the right spot.
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

Presuming you mean SQUIDDER, I seriously doubt you had "the same problem"? These are one-screw take-apart designs that only have a single outside trim ring at left, w/countersunk holes for screw heads. The inner rings are unlikely to be reversed since the right side inner ring is specially made w/the 'bayonet mount' slots in it.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

My bet is the right side spool bearing needs to be replaced. It is common for them to wear and cause this problem. :idea: