perhaps should be in "anything but reels"

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
orourke
Super Board Poster

perhaps should be in "anything but reels"

Post by orourke »

Hi All:

I picked up a hanging Milk Scale two years ago, (on the day Rhonda and I were in our motorcycle accident).

I ran across it last night and want to give it a face lift. Most of the dome top rivets that held the brass face place to the steel back were missing. I ground off the few remaing rivets and cleaned the dirt and grime from the interior of the housing and the chaff that had accumulated in and between the springs.

Here are my questions:

* I don't want to polish the brass face, how do I clean it? It is so dark you can't even read the engraving.

* Should I oil the spring mechanism?

* How do these scales maintain any accuracy as the springs fatigue over the years.

Lastly,

* Since I don't have any brass rivets, Do you think dome top brass screw would be acceptable?

I know its not a reel but you folks amaze me with all your knowledge. Hopefully one or two of you can give me some tips.

Thanks!

Dave "O"
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Dave - For your first question I would contact someone who repairs old clocks. Send me a PM or email with the size of the rivets (flat head or round, dia. of the head, dia. of the body & length. I will see what I can come up with to match your needs.
Don
orourke
Super Board Poster

Post by orourke »

I ended up soaking it in white vinegar. Worked great.

I haven't gotten around to putting it back together.

Don - thanks for the offer on the rivets. I'm just going to put it back together with what ever works. I may even use small nuts & bolts. Future owners will then be able to check out the inner workings with out having to grind down rivet heads.

Dave