what a drag!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
fritzmerde
Big ORCA Fan

what a drag!

Post by fritzmerde »

I've got a Penn 6500SS with an identity problem. I can't stop the drag-a goldfish could peel 100yds without trying. It goes from a midland to here take my drag knob & spool setting. I've stripped it down, everything looks okay, except the drag knob looks a little funky (that's an offical army term meaning-what the hell do I know). Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated, (except my wifes-I highly doubt that sticking it up there would fix the problem anyway).Thank you for your time.
Bill in Port Orange
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bill in Port Orange »

Make sure your drag washers are lined up properly and in proper order , if the top washer is not in line with the flats on the crosswind shaft the drag nut will tighten down only on the top washer and leave the rest loose . The crosswind shaft should stick up through and above the washers .

Bill
fritzmerde
Big ORCA Fan

Post by fritzmerde »

Hello Bill,
Thank you for your response. When I first took a look at the spool, I did a quick check and count of the drag washers I should have looked closer. I didn't realized the extent of the corrosion. I've sanded the inside of the spool and I still can't get the octagonal drag washer out-I'm sure that it has a wonderful salt-water glue job & the HT washers are not in good shape either. The click tonque and its washer are bent up-I don't think that has anything to do with the drag problem. Any suggestions on how I can remove the octagon washer. Thanks for your time-Fritz
Bill in Port Orange
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bill in Port Orange »

Hi Fritz ,

When they are stuck like that I try to push them up from the bottom with a small pick , make sure all the corrosion is out of the corners inside the spool first .

Bill