Thanks ORCA

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
fritzmerde
Big ORCA Fan

Thanks ORCA

Post by fritzmerde »

I just wanted to thank those folks that freely give their advice and share their experiences with ignorant fisherman like myself. I wish that I had found this site years ago, some of the reels that I FUBARed might be around today. That being said, does anyone know of any good sources of replacement side plates. In one of my file drawers I have a few of my grandfathers old reels, lures ect. One has a crack coming from a screw . I'm pretty sure that the side plate is hard rubber. I've never tried to work on any of the old rods & reels that were his. I'm afraid that if I take the screw out the party is over. I don't know if it can be fixed. Any info would be appreciated-it's an old Vom Hofe 732-thanks
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Thanks ORCA

Post by Brian F. »

Glad you were able to get help.
fritzmerde wrote:...it's an old Vom Hofe 732-thanks
I don't think you'll find a replacement unless you have one made. Heard of a couple guys machining them but if the crack is not too big, I'd just leave it be. Photos of the damage would help. By the way, I'm sure you've opened up a lot of eyes with mention of that reel as it's a pretty desirable one.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, YES! We need pics to see what you have! One of us can help you to load pics, if you don't have a web host...you can mail to me if you want and I'll post them here.

Hard rubber sideplates can be repaired to look reasonable, although it will certainly never be as-new. As Brian said, sometimes it's best just to leave things alone.