fingerprints on reel

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

fingerprints on reel

Post by NJFisherman »

I've got a Heddon 3-15 that has fingerprints on it. The reel looks unused (or nearly so) and so I want to be careful before applying anything too harsh. Same problem on a ABU CDL that's never been used. Any suggestions?
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Dave...This is an interesting question (seriously). :shock: I know what I'd do, but then I've already had breakfast and my foot in my mouth would be way to filling.

Let's see what our fellow Rocket Scientists have to say...Guys? :lol:
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Maybe I should have asked why we are here?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dave: I guess I'm surprised that fingerprints would be that tough...sounds like they've been there for a long time and due to salt/sweat marring the finish. When that used to happen to my gun barrels, I would wipe it down with Rigg gun oil and that would take care of it...and also protect from further abuse. You probably need something stronger for your reel. I would use Simichrome polish, which should take it right off without damaging the finish. Just go slow and use only the amount of rubbing you need to get it off. You can always go over it again if not satisfied.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Wow...that took awhile. It's a good thing we have John. Dave, it's a different day and I'm hungry this mornin' so I'll risk stickin' my foot in my in-experienced mouth.

For surface prints, I'll use a citrus based kitchen cleaning spray. It'll cut through ANY oil/grease and once wiped off, just do a quick rinse with water and dry-off. For the aged "imbedded" prints John mentioned, Simichrome will do the job. Another option that I use, is called "Never Dull". You can find it in any auto parts store. It's made for cleaning chrome & polished aluminum. The Military used it for gun cleaning also.

Chrome can (tin) and is filled with soft swabbing. Just pull a small piece off and polish away. Buff with a dry soft rag. One can will last forever. Test it on your car in a small area, to see what it does.
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Thanks John & Rick! You know when I posted my initial reply I was jokingly asking the metaphysical question...thinking this seemed like an easy one that had somehow stumped everyone or in retrospect, conflicted (to clean or not to clean) folks...now I realize some may have taken my comment the wrong way (my wife did immediately)! I hope not! I will try one of these and get back with you...thanks again!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

well, I'm glad Rick piped in in the first place...for some reason, I never saw this post when made...sorry for the delay.