Bringing an old reel back to life

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
keebranch
Advanced Board Poster

Bringing an old reel back to life

Post by keebranch »

All
This is a good way yo save money on vintage or newer tackle.
On the 'Bay I found a Heddon-Daisy in poor cosmetic condition- the paint suffered from corrosion and blisters.
It would be pointless to buff it out unless I could be certain of the metal's integrity. Conversly the reels innards showed that the spring, pawls, and adjuster were all in good form -everything worked well.
So began by using Citrus Strip to take down all the paint to bare metal. I am hoping to give it a faux worn leaded finish like those found on "spitfire" Hardys'
Following this I took 0000 steel wool to work down any residual paint and flush out any pittting or inperfections:
Satisfied with the results I polished the reel using Flitz and reassembled the remaining parts.
Tonight I mixed a small amount of JB Weld and matched another makers foot to the reel. So far so good. This repair came as a suggestion by another board member who employed the same solution/repair for his own Eagle Claw reel of the same vintage.
When the J B Weld has cured I will take final picutres including the re-attached red on silver "Heddon 320" badge. It's not bad for a $13.00 investment.

Updatded photos whith foot:
Les
Last edited by keebranch on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Les...looks like you've put together a nice user reel. I think the thing that would make most boarders happy would be to see the reel marked as "rebuilt" by you...good place for that would be to grind out the "Taiwan" and put if on the foot with an engraver in that spot. I think that would have much more charm than the country designation of the replacement foot and there would be no issue of originality. Personally, I'd leave the Heddon sticker off, as well, since it's no longer original...just MVHO. :D
swellcat
Big ORCA Fan

Post by swellcat »

Very tasteful, I think.

Now, trade it to me.
keebranch
Advanced Board Poster

Post by keebranch »

Jeff,
It's still a sows ear, but pretty nice one.

Les