Another hard rubber repair

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Post Reply
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: Salisbury, NC

Another hard rubber repair

Post by Don Champion »

Recently ORCAn Bill Hoerter contacted me about a repair on hard rubber end plates. It seems he was high bidder on a Shakespeare "Vom Hofe" pat reel and the seller didn't pad it at all when he mailed it. Of course the reel didn't survive the trip. The end plates on each broke at the front of the foot.
Image
Image
The first thing I did was disassemble the reel & clean it super well. When I tried to take out the screws they were frozen solid. I first removed the foot, then backed out the post screws which brought the post with them. I did this a little at a timeon each post so as not to damage the reel further. Then I held the post in a 0-1/4" drill chuck and was able to back the screws out.
Then I glued the broken pieces back on using Eastman 910 (an industrial adhesive like super glue). I used cabel ties to hold the parts while they set.
Image
After they had dried overnight I removed the cabel ties and drilled a no. 71 (.025") hole on each side of the screw holes at the broken area. I inserted a piece of hardened steel spring wire in each hole which were coated with Loctite 290 (another industrial adhesive).
Image
When that had set for a while I filled any small depressions with hard black wax. Any excess was shaved off. then the area of the patch was sanded with wet or dry abrasive paper, used wet, starting with 400 grit and working down to 2100 grit.

There is a sample of the spring wire in front of the two repaired end plates.

User avatar
john elder
Star Board Poster
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:44 pm

Post by john elder »

Looking good, Don! Hey, can you throw in a close-up pic of where you inserted that spring wire? I'm not sure what you mean...are they pinning the repaired pieces to the sideplate?

Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: Salisbury, NC

Post by Don Champion »

Sorry about that John but I have already returned the reel. I should have been clearer on that point, but that's what happens when one gets in too much of a hurry. I drilled the holes on the thiner edge of the side plates on each side of the screw hole and toward the center of the end plates. I thought it would have more shear strength that way and would be less likely to break in the same area again. There was nothing left to see once I had filled the holes with hard black wax. The wax may or may not disolve if left in solvent for too long (say an hour or two). I have made this repair before and it has yet to fail. The cabel ties do not stick to the adheasive. That's why I use nylon.

User avatar
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:23 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Wash.
Contact:

Post by Rick H »

Boy, those initial pics of the shipping damage really turned my stomach. Sure glad I wasn't the one opening that package! :x

But you sure did a nice job on the repair Don. Thanks for sharing...and, I hope I never have to use your repair process. :)

User avatar
reelsmith.
Super Board Poster
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:08 am
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by reelsmith. »

Don's got skills !

Dean.

el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:19 pm
Location: The TEXAS Hillcountry...

Post by el Lawrence »

Boy Don this is impressive... I may have a reel for you to look at.

Post Reply