Upcoming Project - Any Wagers? - DONE -

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Upcoming Project - Any Wagers? - DONE -

Post by Rick H »

:shock: :lol: Gotta laugh at myself...what a moron! Just picked this basket-case up for $21. The odds on an ROI would have been better, if I just tossed the $21 off the top of the Space Needle. I'll post the "afters" once it arrives depending whether the jack-hammer and Aluminum colored Rust-o-leum, works well. :?

(I'm pushin' the envelope Dean!)

Last edited by Rick H on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Jeez Rick , you're a glutton for punishment.

Never mind the vinegar, soak it in Hydrochloric Acid for a month and there will be no problem (and no reel) That spool looks bad . If we hear you screaming we'll know you've had enough.

Ray
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Just dunk it in aluminum paste with lacquer.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I'm much less pessimistic about this one...lob that in 2:1 vinegar:water overnight...whole thing...that will not only cut thru lots of that oxidation, but help loosen the screws...I have faith in you, Rick!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Nothing better for a crusty ol' reel than a good...Hydro (cloric acid) bath. I'm thinkin' Ray's got the right idea! BUT...if I cast it and make a mold first, I can also use Steve's idea...make a plaster/plastic reproduction and paint it!

There's only two possibilities. 1) It's either going to come out fine, because it's German Silver. Or...2) it's gonna end up being a shiny BRASS non-conventional conversation piece.

I'm bettin' on the German Silver...like John is.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

kingfisher wrote: Never mind the vinegar, soak it in Hydrochloric Acid for a month... Ray
Anybody got an extra gallon of Hydrocloric Acid?
Oh and John...that Faith you had in me...scratch that :!:

She's Nickle plated over brass. I have to re-group and come up with a conversation piece. :x
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Rick,

What a downer. I was hoping to be wrong.Thankfully you did not pay $210.00 . Some reels were chrome plate over german silver as i found with a very early 30's Penn Senator spool (to my surprise) . It can be left as is to highlight your better reels or if you get stuck into it , shiny brass instead of silver.

Ray
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

As usual, Vernon made the call...sorry to hear, Rick! you could make it into the reel version of a 'nekked lure' and head for the polishing reel...nothing much prettier than brass when shined up!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Brass it is guys! Makes a nice paper-weight for the desk. Now, I just need a desk. :lol:

Had to toss in the spool pic (in original condition)... :shock:

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

hey, Hoser...nice job :D
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

:lol: I deserved that one!
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Rick,

Just in time for a Christmas tree decoration. It is as bright as a Star . I thought you'd missed a spot but it is only your relection HA! Top marks for a fantastic revival job. Is it a Monty or a Pflueger or ?.

Ray
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

AH HA! A paper-weight AND a Tree Topper! I KNEW this one was a good investment... :shock:

No idea Ray, on the maker. She's marked only "Atlantic" "Surf Casting" with a 200 on the foot. She'll now pass as a "shiney object" on the shelf and has a potential use as a back-up reel since she's fully functional and really quite smooth. I'll take 'er for $21.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Here's your reel, Rick, from a 1917 Wilson catalog:

they sold several brands of reels, from Meek to South Bend to Meisselbach to Rochester. Most of these were announced as such. This reel, along with others on this page, were not...I'm going to take a wild guess and say the reel was made by Montague.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Thanks John...I love having the ads to marry with the actual reels. Looks like I have the TOP OF THE LINE in this model. $4.00 :!:
dahut
Big ORCA Fan

Post by dahut »

Holy Feces - what a cracking job!
Hard to believe its the same reel.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

:lol: Thanks dahut...but I can't take any credit. Confucious say; "Dig deep enough, you will hit bed-rock". In this case...BRASS!
dahut
Big ORCA Fan

Post by dahut »

Try to be humble of you want - but Im not biting. That was some effort to get it presentable. Looks great.
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

What a great job. You give me courage to try with an old Kingfisher that looks bad bad also.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Careful guys...This one had to be taken down to original brass. The nickel plating was so far gone, there was nothing else to do. I bought it HOPING that it might be German Silver. In that case, would have cleaned up nicely! But it wasn't so. The reel in the pics is of zero collector value. It's only good as a User and/or a Shiny Ornament. Don't ruin a good collector reel...because of what I did here.

- Full Disclosure Imperative -
dahut
Big ORCA Fan

Post by dahut »

Rick H (AutoFly) wrote:The reel in the pics is of zero collector value. It's only good as a User and/or a Shiny Ornament. Don't ruin a good collector reel...because of what I did here.

- Full Disclosure Imperative -
Good point. That said, it should also be pointed out that there is nothing wrong with a user reel/ornament. That, too, is part of the collecting game.
Know before you dive in, but once that is settled, dont be timid.