I'm going to see what I can do with this

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
countreenut
Advanced Board Poster

I'm going to see what I can do with this

Post by countreenut »

Bought this Horton last night just for something to do. I will take a few pictures when done and see what it looks like. Any advice is welcome.

fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

While the handle it has might fit and work properly, it would be better with a correct original handle. You might try that Tournament handle you had posted a few months back with the two other small Shakespeare handles.

There are lots of cleaning/polishing tips in the cleaning and restoration section. Hard to tell how best to attack until you have it in your hands. Sometimes they are just best left alone.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I just bought a Montague "Grass Lake" reel at the bakersfield show and it's that same even "shade", which I thought was just crud. Another fellow looked at it and said it was blued...whether that happened at the factory or by an end-user is another matter, but he claimed the factory would do that if the request was made...some fishermen thought the flash/glare of the reel during the cast would spook bass. I'm debating as to whether to just get the dirt off and leave it or put it through a vinegar bath and shine it up...kinda leaning toward the former at the moment...it is what it is!
countreenut
Advanced Board Poster

see what I can do

Post by countreenut »

I have several handles for Hortons & BF Meeks now so thats not a problem. Just running short on screws. As you can see this one also has a screw that is not right. Just don't like paying $125.00 for a parts reel. :(
Thanks for the tips guys. Jerry
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Give me a couple days to find the name of a company I have dealt with 5-6 years ago that makes screws & other fasteners. The first time I ordered from them, I sent them a screw and told them I needed 10. They called me back and told me they sold by weight and 1/4 pound was smallest quantity. I bought several quarter pounders. Best part was they sent me a nifty gauge to figure out thread sizes and a chart that showed all the different head & slot styles. They also offered several different types of metal including nickel. As has been previously pointed out, it must be a mess around here and therefore, I am going to have to dig to find the gauge that has the phone number & company name on it. I was able to upgrade to new screws on several of my collections with identical replacements. If anyone else knows the company name and can help speed things along, please jump in...oh, here it is. Maybe things aren't as messy around here as they are cracked up to be. The Fastener Place 610-372-6666...if that doesn't work, you might also try Micro-Mark.com or micromark.com
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Fastener Place Inc
2684 Bernville Rd
Reading PA 19605
610-372-6666

Yippee! A recommended place within driving distance at last. Thanks FBM!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

John - Your Montague "Grass Lake" reel was made with what was called a gunmetal finish. Usually when you find a reel with it most of the finish is gone. It comes off fairly easy. Try to keep it as it is.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Steve wrote:Fastener Place Inc
2684 Bernville Rd
Reading PA 19605
610-372-6666

Yippee! A recommended place within driving distance at last. Thanks FBM!
Steve, I can't remember what their selection was on those "shouldered" Fillister screws you probably want...I know they had brass and of course plated ones that are ideal for Penn reels. It was a long time ago, maybe they are making them in GS and nickel now.
Last edited by fishbugman on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

thanks much, Don...I can't say that I find the gunmetal finish to handsome, but this just has some mild "finish" loss on the rims...pretty nice example for gun metal. I'll post pics when I get it de-grunged.

Jerry...sorry for the mild hijack! I look forward to seeing how yours turns out!
countreenut
Advanced Board Poster

Post by countreenut »

Hey John a mild hijack is what makes a good board and this hobby fun. Jerry
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

well, since you gave me permission :D

Here's the Grass Lake, with just a soap and water bath...it is what it is!

So Jerry...yours may be only heavily tarnished, but you can see why i thought it might have been blued.
countreenut
Advanced Board Poster

Post by countreenut »

Mine has had something put on it. It has a tacky feel to it. Its been soaking for two days now and will attack it tonight to see what happens. Jerry
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

:shock: Yer killin' me Jerry! I've been sittin' here waiting for the results patiently, figuring to myself..."he's gotta be close"...and yer STILL soaking it?! Okay, "Good things come to those who wait". :wink:
countreenut
Advanced Board Poster

Post by countreenut »

Bad news from the get go. First the numbered parts inside was 911 that should have been my first clue.2nd the end of spool shaft is rusted off in tail plate. 3rd the main gear shaft has rusted off of inside head plate piece. I think I could fix it all but the spool. It would have to be replaced. Instead of having a mixed matched reel this one will be put in the paid to much for parts pile. :oops:

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif ... 2_0586.jpg
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Ouch! I don't know if it's any consolation, but...I feel your pain brother. I'm not sure which is worse, ending up with a parts reel OR missing out on the opportunity to breath life back into them. "?"

There will be another...there always is.
fishbugman
Super Board Poster

Post by fishbugman »

Sorry to hear about the project. I think every one of us who buys rusty gold on fleaBAY in hopes of finding some encrusted jewels has had a similar disaster story or three. I still buy some marginal stuff in hopes of being able to "bring it back to life". Don't let this discourage you...the next one could make up for this one.