Dam Reel Tougher model

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Bud Chaddock
Frequent Board Poster

Dam Reel Tougher model

Post by Bud Chaddock »

Found out its from late 40s to early 50s?? Any feed back??

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Dam Reel Tougher model

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Bud, you got a photo so we know what you're showing us?
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Ive always suspected that those reels were made by Shakespeare, used Shakespeare parts, or DAM copied Shakespeare design. Very similar to the Shake 1957 Imperial and even that squiggly design was used by Shake. I believe Colby was working or maybe still is working on nailing down the DAM b/c's.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Scott, did Shakes ever have that agate line guide?
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

As discussed before I don't think Shakespeare contributed to these reels. DAM made baitcasters well before WWII and continues today. While there are pieces that look "Shakespeare" I believe they are just that, pieces that look like they were made by Shakespeare but were in fact made at the DAM factory.

All DAM baitcasters are tough to find.

One interesting fact - DAM continued making reels well into World War II. It was not until the last couple years of the War that they ceased reel production and then they quickly re-started after the War.

They also kept features in production, including some "Shakespeare" features, until well after the War. So while most American reel manufacturers quickly adopted "new" features from the imaginative thoughts of our returning War veterans, DAM used much older features until well into the late 1950s and 1960s.

Also, most of these baitcasters were made for the export market, not the local German market, and thus the use of English on the reels instead of German.

I'm working on an article but I've got a couple of others in front of it.

Keepin' It Fun

Colby
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Also, most of these baitcasters were made for the export market, not the local German market, and thus the use of English on the reels instead of German.
That hypothesis is supported and also evidenced in the huge use and manufacturing movement in Europe from conventional style to fixed spool/open face spinning reels prior to and immediately following WWII. ABU was one of the few European companies that was actually able to weather that transition and continue to successfully manufacture casting reels which were mainly directed toward the UK and US market places.