Collecting Fly Reels is Fun!

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Collecting Fly Reels is Fun!

Post by reelsmith. »

Nice reel !!!

What size is it ?

I have the same reel in a #3 and it looks larger than yours. Diameter is 2.25" with the pillars.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

No number stamp. 2.25" pillar to pillar. Every now and then I have to take it out to get a reality check on old school quality.

Here's another that is stamped #5 with same foot parked next to a 150yd monte or us net twine.

lets see more
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I guess we like the same reels.

Here is my #5 JVH ...

And since you seem to like JVH, here's a another pretty one ...

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

While were on the subject here's a couple of little guys that have me stumped. Any ideas? Hendrick/Star reel co, Malleson? I'm at a loss. Both are nicely made plated reels. Bearing caps may not be correct - I'm sure on the hard rubber reel because it was missing and had to make do with what I had lying around.

Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

The bearing caps are correct. I have had an example of the reel with the hard rubber and it had the same bearing cap.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, now that i’m on a fixed income :shock: , i thought it worth saying that you can have a ball collecting fly reels without spending the crazy money for reels like those shown above. Don’t get me wrong, i’m not ready to kick the ones i paid stupid money for out of the cave, but they share space with a panoply of fly reels that i accumulated, mostly for less than 100 bucks. Below are many that I have picked up, including one that I got last week... its a Shakespeare Kazoo... have had numerous Kazoos that were narrow spool reels, but this is the wide(1 3/4”) 1877 Kazoo. Below are pics of many others that will never subsidize social security, but will make for great entertainment at the Home :D

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Well, now that i’m on a fixed income :shock: ,
And for those of us on broken incomes:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I want to play! Here is a photo that I sent to Paul a while back for the Facebook page.

-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Ron,
You have some Holy Grail of fly reel material there!
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Not all fly reels have to be heavy hitters to be desirable. Here's a 200 yd Hendryx picked up today that just needed a little TCL to get working perfectly. You just don't see this size very often. It's not mint but that's fine because I can use it with no worries. It's not the highest end Hendryx fly reel but is just a step or 2 away. I love it and can't wait to take it for a spin. Reel will hold a DT4 to WF6 no problem plus backing so I don't have to worry about capacity issues with modern lines. Pictured next to the smaller Bougle it's only slightly larger in diameter. She's gonna be screaming this spring.

Tx, Low Profile

Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

LP - It was great meeting you yesterday, always nice to be able to put a face with the name. Nice score on that Hendryx, you'll have to share some of the catches made using it - Andrew B. would be very happy to know his reels still catch fish!
Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Jim,

Very nice meeting you at the show and your display of those early side mount reels was awesome. I'll definitely post some pics this spring/summer of the Hendryx in action. Just gotta find a rod it will fit on. Reel seat is a full 3" long and gonna have to dig deep into the pile to find one with a seat that will accept the reel. Not going to shorten the foot so I might have to make a rod specific for the reel. Tight lines.

Low Profile