Watch out for this disease!

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Reeltyme

Watch out for this disease!

Post by Reeltyme »

This is what happens if your not careful.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Watch out for this disease!

Post by RonG »

:P :lol: :shock:
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I think I got some of the symptoms !!!(*&^$#$%^&*(*@$%^&* John Taylor
It's a project still in the works !!

Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Hey Bullseye, I do not think that I can afford to be that infected! Though, I wish I could!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Neither can I !!! Lol !!!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice John very nice! I’m sure it didn’t happen over night! Then your cradles! You truly are a cradle aficionado....Nice! Even nicer being your focused. When I started I wanted 1 of everything which didn’t work out after 600* pieces! Today it’s big game and Holzman with an occasional 1 off surf reel. Thanks for sharing.
Tight lines, Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Nick there is one cradle and rod in NY I would love to own !!!! John Taylor
PS I got those guides today. Thanks
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Question: Is it possible that there are now more reels in collections than are owned by active anglers in the World? I have perhaps a hundred times more reels than I actually use!

Bad Bob
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

RAM wrote:Question: Is it possible that there are now more reels in collections than are owned by active anglers in the World? I have perhaps a hundred times more reels than I actually use!

Bad Bob
I'm in a similar boat, BB! :loco:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Aah no problem, glad I could help......let me do some serious thinking!
Tight lines Nick
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I think I will just go into beanie babies! Those collections are outlandish! Beautiful job with those cases, both of you! Smart move having it all behind glass as well so you don’t have to spend every weekend with Swiffer in hand!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Thank you all for the kind words. As I am sure that some of you noticed the Shrek fishing outfit in the pictures, those of you with grandchildren probably just smiled and continued on. The rest probably raised an eyebrow with question. My granddaughter of 4 (at the time, she is now 13) decided that “Papa” needed this outfit to go fishing. My granddaughter caught her first fish with that outfit and I have the photo to go along with that moment in time. That is a memory I will never forget. That Shrek fishing set, to me, is worth more than the rest of my collection. Long after the last reel of ours is sold to the highest bidder and the money our children will end up with is spent on their interests, the small memories like “Shrek” will hopefully remain in their hearts. Old timers like us can only hope to pass down a small interest in our passion for collecting these beautiful memories from the past. Enjoy them while you can!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Oh My! WOW John, you sure have a fantastic collection and display it so well, it's like being in a museum. I hope I can come by some time and see it in person, I will bring my white gloves!

Reeltyme, great collection too, thanks for starting this thread!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

:bow: :bow: WOW! I don't know how I missed this John. Just looking back thru some old posts and saw this. I have got to come by and see you some day. Outstanding collection! Thanks for sharing.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

From what I hear Jay you have the disease in it's last stages !!!! Terminal from what I hear !!! Thanks for the compliment I would love to see your stuff some day as well !!! John Taylor
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I think I'll show this thread to my wife, proving I'm a lightweight. Then again... maybe I shouldn't. :)
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

This is my "collection". Less conservative than I'd originally intended. Ever have that happen? Justification (#1): Mostly bc I didn't know how many possible candidates for a good fishing partner there might be. And we all know how important fishing partners can be! :fished

All are "tuned": cleaned down to bare substrate, metal to metal contact areas buffed (bushings/bearings, spindles, shafts), lightly greased and oiled, and all mechanics brought back to working order. AB tech all actually work! Nifty! They pretty much all 'spin like tops'. And I mean, spin like tops. I had a couple ebay sellers say their offers "spin like a top". But they didn't. They do now.

Now I have to decide which to keep. Ever had that problem? Any advice? Am I asking the right people? :lol: I'll know more after I get some fishing in with these reels -maybe!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Paul Roberts wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:01 pm This is my "collection". Less conservative than I'd originally intended. Ever have that happen? Justification (#1): Mostly bc I didn't know how many possible candidates for a good fishing partner there might be. And we all know how important fishing partners can be! :fished

Now I have to decide which to keep. Ever had that problem? Any advice? Am I asking the right people?
Yes, I do have some very important advice!

1. You need a bigger cabinet, something with a glass front so you make it/them part of you home decor to admire and adore. :idea: I picked up this little cutie at the local Goodwill for a measly $25. Then fill it! :wink: As I did this one with these Italian made beauties. :D

2. Make your wife your main fishing partner! :fished

She will appreciate your tools of the trade and "home decor" much more! :mrgreen:

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Tom, that's some fine advice! I knew I could count on you. I'll talk to my wife tonight!

Sounds a lot like tackle boxes... You need a larger one... but then there are empty trays!...
It's a vicious cycle. I got smart years ago and bought an UMCO 'Possum-Belly'. Now if I only had 2 or 3 more.

Oh, I love those Italian reels! I can even think of a good justification: As I'd said before, I'm a back-reeler, and those non-skirted rotors are so much nicer to feather.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

My wife, especially, and I want to see some photos of you and your sweetie out there on the lake reely enjoying your passion! :cool

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

We'll be working on that! My wife has been a dedicated elementary school teacher for a long time, and is about to retire. Although we've done some fishing together over the years, and plenty of holiday adventuring -she's a more adventurous risk-taker than I- her relationship with water has looked more like this. And she's really needed that R&R time.

We'll be having much more "water time" together as our retirement plans come together. Those plans involve water "right out the back door", in her words. And fishing will be a part of that, although my fishing tends to be more involved than... any 'balanced person' could endure. Here's an example in which my wife, or any other sane person, would almost assuredly NOT be accompanying me, at least more than once! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dILyjhab-i4
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Paul Roberts wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:43 pm Those plans involve water "right out the back door", in her words. And fishing will be a part of that, although my fishing tends to be more involved than... any 'balanced person' could endure. Here's an example in which my wife, or any other sane person, would almost assuredly NOT be accompanying me, at least more than once! :D
Oh my, Paul, I am impressed! I think you may have hit the nail directly on the regarding sane individuals! :lol: I have to repent for my language just about every time I get hung up trolling for "eyes", more so when I break my line. :bash: If I did your thing I'd be repenting all day long, and for the next week to boot! :loco: :D

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

:lol: I guess you watched far enough in that you got to hear... those chimes a-ringin' across the water! :roll: Chaos is part of the real world. And we fishers sure like to flirt with it! What are we thinking, tying a weight to the end of a fine string and flinging it around? Much less affixing hard-earned cash to that string and flinging it where we can't even see? Much less into the weeds, rocks, and bushes. But... I love it all, and am looking forward to sharing some of it (the more tame varieties) with my sweetie. Tasty walleyes would sure increase her interest, and she's enjoyed fly-fishing on trout streams most. Sea Trout and crabbing would float her boat too. Remains to be seen.