Two Fin-Nor / Tycoon combos

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Two Fin-Nor / Tycoon combos

Post by 54bullseye »

Here is a neat set of Fin-nor reels with Tycoon rods that I recently bought from an auction. It's two Fin-Nor 12/0 "CT" models late 30s early 40s both mounted on early original Tycoon Bimini King rods. This set is neat in that both reels are nicely engraved with " RALPH E. HACKNEY Atlantic City, NJ." and are serial numbered "x132x" and "133" the reels are in real nice but used condition and had surely been well cared for. The rods are nice early Bimini Kings also well preserved but they do show use. I believe they are in 100% original condition and they have "Tycoon Miami, Fla." stamped in three spots each it's on the reel seat the roller stripper guides and on both roller tops. The other cool thing to me is both rods have decals just above fore grips that read " RALPH'S PET SHOP 2020 Atlantic Ave. Atlantic City, NJ." So I assume Ralph Hackney was the owner of Ralph's Pet shop.

I think a really neat set of vintage big game fishing combos that should remain together.
Thanks for looking !! John Taylor
PS excuse picture quality I had a bad day yesterday to much sun.

Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Two Fin-Nor / Tycoon combos

Post by Jay White »

Great auction finds John! Beautiful set. Thanks for sharing!!
BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BAP-62 »

Very nice set.
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/
Brian Purrone
ORCA Member
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:bow:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Those are beautiful!!!!
-Chris R.
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

You are absolutely right, They need to stay together. That is one beautiful set. One of the nice things about them is the condition they are in, they need nothing done to them! Enjoy and congrats!

Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Really outstanding John. Please excuse me for noticing the line on such nice rods and reels. Is that twisted line with a green colored trace thread? In some places it looks twisted and in other places it looks braided. Thanks.
-steve
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

oc1 wrote:Really outstanding John. Please excuse me for noticing the line on such nice rods and reels. Is that twisted line with a green colored trace thread? In some places it looks twisted and in other places it looks braided. Thanks.
-steve
Steve

I think it is linen I have seen quite a bit that looks like it and I am sure it's not a braided dacron. Here is the closest thing I have found to it. John Taylor

oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Thank you John. Nice stuff... all of it.
-steve
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

I love to hear stories about great tackle found in small auctions, it is encouraging to say the least. These types of finds are not as frequent as they used to be which makes them even sweeter. Those are a fantastic pair of very early Tycoon rods with the earliest style stripper guides and roller tips, you just don't see them pop up anymore. The reels are pretty amazing too! Two, early, consecutive serial number 12/0 reels. You must have been singing a song all the way home from the auction house!! Congratulations JT!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Good things happen to good people! Still looking at my calendar from last year!
Thanks John! Wishing everyone an early Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Thanks for all the good comments I really like the two combos !! Extra thanks to Chris "1badf350" for turning me on to the auction it was very nice of you Chris !!! Thanks John Taylor