homemade spinners

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

homemade spinners

Post by Ron Mc »

Haven't made these for a dozen years, but to spin-fish our trout tailwater, I make single-hook barbless spinners to loan to friends, Dad, etc.
The hardware all came from Cabelas - then I spent about $50, but enough parts to make 50 lures, vs. $8/pop for Mepps single-hook spinners.
Cabelas doesn't sell this kind of stuff any more, but lure making supplies was how they got their start - growing up, I was mailed their wish book every season.
Size 8 single barbless hook. The tail is marabou with a pheasant rump soft hackle collar for texture and iridescent blue contrast - individual pheasant rump feathers will also have red and green.
A spin-box made up for my buddy Lou, including a few cats whiskers tied with weighted barbells, on 2x-long size 8 streamer hooks.
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Re: homemade spinners

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Very NICE!!!!
I really like those Bug Eyed Jigs .
I use to make regular jigs with Chenille I bought from Cabellas too many years back.
Last batch I made I used Pipe Cleaners, but just not the same.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: homemade spinners

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks - here you go - another photo of the cats whiskers

with bead-chain eyes, this is my almost 100% warmwater fly (this one on 3x-long streamer hook)
here's the cat's whisker recipe
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/v ... 75&p=15709