Neat little unknown Brass Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
john elder
Star Board Poster

Neat little unknown Brass Reel

Post by john elder »

ORCAn Craig Barber came up to me at the Tulsa Convention with a small brass reel he found in upper New York state about 15 years ago. It is very well made and except for a probable solder repair to the foot at some point, is in excellent cosmetic and working condition. Diameter is 1 3/4” by 1.5” wide. I believe it was fished under the reel as a right hand retrieve fly reel, given the orientation of the round pillar that acts as a roller guide. The spool diameter is the same as that of the side plate, explaining the unique (? To me at least) construction of the pillars, a simpler construction than raised pillars if one lacks a mill. The pillars have been marked along with the side plate to indicate where they should be placed. Nice little solid-made reel. Craig indicated that he had kept it long enough and then gifted it to me! We have such a great club and members like Craig abound! Yet another opportunity for me to find a suitable way to pay it forward... thanks, Craig!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Neat little unknown Brass Reel

Post by Steve »

Cool! Edwin Judge prototype, no doubt.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

That is one neat looking little reel! What a great gift!
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Very neat reel!
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.