My First 1879 Patent Edward vom Hofe Salmon Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
RonG
Super Board Poster

My First 1879 Patent Edward vom Hofe Salmon Reel

Post by RonG »

This is the first 1879 patent EVH reel that I have had the opportunity to open up. Three things are interesting about Edward's first patent design. The adjustable drag works in both directions, unlike his 1896 drag patent that was one directional. There are 4 drag setting locked positions rather than the 7 seen on later reels. Also, the roller pillar has male ends rather than female ends like later models. You can see photos below of the patent and the reel.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: My First 1879 Patent Edward vom Hofe Salmon Reel

Post by john elder »

That is really impressive how true the reel is to those 1879 patent Drawings! Nice score, Ron!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: My First 1879 Patent Edward vom Hofe Salmon Reel

Post by Mike N »

That is a great reel, Ron. Now all you need for an award-winning display is a companion piece of ephemera...maybe like an 1886 handwritten letter from Edward vom Hofe...
Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990