Reel work stand

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Reel work stand

Post by xjchad »

I don't have room in our place to set up a work bench or a large tool box.  I have all my mechanic/construction tools in the garage, but they are not easily accessible.  I typically work on reels after the kids have gone to bed.  My wife will be reading or folding laundry on the couch and I will sit on the floor with an old t shirt spread out in front of me and have all my reel tools in an aluminum case from Harbor Freight opened up beside me.  Lately, I've been using a 18" x 24" cutting board as a makeshift table on the floor in front of me just to give me a more solid work surface.

I had an idea for a reel stand that I thought I'd try and I think it turned out pretty good.  Hopefully this will be a helpful idea for some of you as well.

I bought a reel seat off ebay and made the rest from scrap I had laying around.  The pictures can explain better than my words can.

The joint in the middle is so that I can swivel the reel in any direction I need to by loosening and tightening the wing nut.

I will mount this to my cutting board and I also plan on adding some short legs to the cutting board so that it can sit up over my lap when I'm sitting on the floor.
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Reel work stand

Post by xjchad »

All finished up.  Just need to use it now.

1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Looks great Chad! Love the articulation capability
-Chris R.
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

I like those custom wing nuts. That's a great idea.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Great idea!!! Plan to make two...one for a freshwater stand and a saltwater. This stand takes the place of a third hand which you need once in a while.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

That is slick! Very ingenious.

I use one of these vacuum base articulated vises for all kinds of stuff, cleaning and repairing reels and guns, modeling, painting fishing lures, etc.

I got this one at Harbor Freight.
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

For some reason I can't get the pic to post.

I'll try again here but if it doesn't post this time I'm giving up.

Here's a link to the vise at HF:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-3-4-qua ... lated+vise

xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Post by xjchad »

That vise does indeed look very handy!
Thanks Skip!
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

xjchad wrote:That vise does indeed look very handy!
Thanks Skip!
It does need to be on a smooth surface for the vacuum base to work. I usually use it on a kitchen counter if I'm standing or the kitchen table if I'm sitting. I get best results when I wipe the table or counter and the bottom of the vise with a wet paper towel. I like mine so much I got one for my nephew as a gift.

If you shop at HF you know about their coupons. Coupons for 20% off one item (although some products aren't included) are almost always available and sometimes 25% off are. And there are always a bunch of other coupons, including some "free with purchase" coupons.

There is a site - hfcoupons.com - that has all the current coupons and it has a app for your phone. Since the ads are regional and the site is national you have access to coupons not published in your region.
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Post by xjchad »

Thanks for the HF tips!

Also, that reel seat that I used is a "bow fishing" reel seat.
It already has a threaded insert in it.