Nice little Zebco 444

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Nice little Zebco 444

Post by Skip »

Got this on eBay for about $8.50 delivered. Seller said it was locked up but it looked pretty clean and since I like underspins I took a chance.

The original factory grease had completely solidified and had basically glued the works solid. Not counting soaking time it took about 30 minutes to clean it up and get it working.

I was going to fish with it but the closer I looked at it the more I began to think it had never been used. The foot shows no signs of ever being mounted and I think I have seen other old NIB Zebcos with the same line stop tied on the end of the line. So I think I'll put it on the shelf and look for another one to fish with.

I don't know much about these other than it's obviously a variation on the old 202 and I don't see many so I guess they're relatively scarce. I did see one NOS combo set with a Zebco rod.

Were these sold separately or only in the combos? When were they made? Any other info appreciated.

Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Nice little Zebco 444

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

They made a couple of versions of this neat little Reel .
The first was metal the last was all plastic .
Here is a link telling about Zebco's production Runs and Dates. Scroll down for the info on this site.
https://www.fishingtalks.com/how-to-dat ... -2044.html
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Harry Verdurchi wrote:They made a couple of versions of this neat little Reel .
The first was metal the last was all plastic .
Here is a link telling about Zebco's production Runs and Dates. Scroll down for the info on this site.
https://www.fishingtalks.com/how-to-dat ... -2044.html
Thanks. Looks like this version was made in 1971. The ones made years later are the "Classic" versions, I think.

As for a steel version, are you thinking of the original 44, based on the 33?
Last edited by Skip on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Yeah, Skip, it is based off of the 202. It came out as new in 1971 & ran through around 1977. I'm sure there were over stock available after 1977, though, but the last year they were cataloged was 1975. They did come in a combo, #1445, which came out in 1972. The rod was a 5'-4" & 5"-6" light action #4440. Yours reel is a nice one. If you're not going to fish it you should keep your eyes out for the box & paper. The correct box is black.

Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Thanks Tommy. It's in nice shape so I'll start looking for the box.
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Tommy, you mentioning the 444 being in the catalogs up to 1975 jogged my memory. The chart says the 444 was made in 1971 only. Now catalogs aren't always correct either, but they're pretty reliable.

Anyway, I remembered there was a site with the old Zebco catalogs posted. Found it and had a nice tiptoe through the tulips.

I'm on the scout for a nice old Model 11 and a Model 22, just because my dad had those and I used them some as a kid. Probably won't fish them much since I prefer LH cranking. But it would be fun to fish with them again. I mostly like open face spinning reels, underspins and baitcasters, but I'm developing an interest in old Made In America Zebcos.

Link to the Zebco catalogs, for any who haven't bookmarked it already:

https://zebcocollectors.com/zebcocatalogs/
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The chart says the 444 was made in 1971 only.

Production and sales availability are two totally different animals. Some reel companies actually manufactured reels in the year before they made them available to the public. Catalogs usually don't lie about availability, though. If Zebco only made the 444 in 1971 :?: they sure must have made a bunch to offer them in their catalogs for 5 years. :o

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Midway Tommy D wrote:
The chart says the 444 was made in 1971 only.

Production and sales availability are two totally different animals. Some reel companies actually manufactured reels in the year before they made them available to the public. Catalogs usually don't lie about availability, though. If Zebco only made the 444 in 1971 :?: they sure must have made a bunch to offer them in their catalogs for 5 years. :o

Hmmm...

Hadn't thought of that possibility. If they did make them all in one run and then sell them over a period of years they should all be the same, no? Not changed over different production runs like the 202.
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Post by xjchad »

Very cool little reel!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Skip wrote: Hmmm...

Hadn't thought of that possibility. If they did make them all in one run and then sell them over a period of years they should all be the same, no? Not changed over different production runs like the 202.
That would be a question for Dick. He's the one that came up with the production list that indicates '71 as the only production year.

On another note, maybe Clinton Beeler would have some inside information regarding that.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Midway Tommy D wrote:
Skip wrote: Hmmm...

That would be a question for Dick. He's the one that came up with the production list that indicates '71 as the only production year.

On another note, maybe Clinton Beeler would have some inside information regarding that.
I had a nice long chat with Dick yesterday and he says they did make them all in 1971 and sold them over a period of years. I ran across an old listing of his on eBay while checking out market prices on the 444s and realized who he was so I got in touch. We had a very pleasant (and on my end, highly informative) chat.
We're now investigating my theory that the 444 uses the exact same works as the 202 of the same vintage.

If I could only lay my hands on the black 202 I got in a lot a while back and cleaned up. It's around here, somewhere.