Heddon 200 Underspin

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Heddon 200 Underspin

Post by Skip »

Found a reel I hadn't seen before, a Heddon 200. Got outbid on a better condition example but I picked up one in fishing condition.

Has some interesting features. Line release is done by rotating a ring mounted on the spinnerhead. The drag is adjusted by a grooved disc as big in diameter as the spool accessed through a recess in the body. It's a level wind with a worm drive and the transmission is pretty compact. It also has handy instructions stamped on the spinnerhead cover and cast into the body near the drag.

As is so often the case the transmission is packed with grease but at least it's still soft. I haven't made the time to clean it up yet, looking forward to a closer examination of the works.

It runs pretty smooth. Is anyone familiar with these?

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Heddon 200 Underspin

Post by Midway Tommy D »

They first showed up in Heddon's 1966 catalog. They clearly weren't cheap! They were still available in the 1969 Catalog but gone by 1970.

Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Skip
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Skip »

Good information, thanks Tommy.

Seems to be a well made reel judging by how solid it is, how smoothly it runs, and from what little I can see of the drive train under all that grease.

I'm going to mount it on one of my vintage spinning rods and try it out.
xjchad
Frequent Board Poster

Post by xjchad »

Very cool little reel Skip!