Massive Unknown Cradle Rods and Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Massive Unknown Cradle Rods and Reel

Post by Jay White »

Massive reel with two rods, one hickory and one cane and huge leather case. Any ideas to the maker?

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: Massive Unknown Cradle Rods and Reel

Post by 54bullseye »

Are the side plates aluminum ? That must weigh a ton !! Great find !! John Taylor
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I didn't know that you were allowed to fish for whales with rod and reel... :D
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Good God Man!!!
-Chris R.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Certainly has a Kovalovsky influence but seems unlikely they made it. Where do you find this stuff, Jay?! Nice score!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice....first impression says Kovalovsky BUT there’s a few reels out there with the Kovalovsky influences BUT are Australia made! Also note how many 16-0 and larger unknowns do come from Australia...more than you know! How many Australian reels have you seen that have copied Hardy? Great work coming out of Australia...then there’s the reelsmiths/machinist of Florida that turn Penn 16-0 into a so called 22-0. Why not build a 1 off? Not to hard to do with a machine shop! Question is how many hours could it take to build times what is your time worth? If a 1 off sells for figure $3,000-6,000 why not...now with features such as a levelwind on a 16-0 would you may additionally...I know I would and have!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!