Digging through some photos from last year....

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Digging through some photos from last year....

Post by Jim Schottenham »

and came across these - a find from Oct. 2018

I think this is the only thread on Reel Talk that included a Ricketts reel - sadly, the old photos are lost:
Ricketts Reel Mention
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Digging through some photos from last year....

Post by john elder »

Oh, my! Will have to look that one up in The Bible! Do you reel by working it like a pump gun??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Might raise and eyebrow looking at someone reeling in a fish from a ways off with that retrieval method I bet.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Do you reel by working it like a pump gun??
Yes, but unlike the Master-Kaster or Trabue, this one uses the reel - not a sleeve, to wind in. It fits the hand rather well, not as awkward as it looks.
Might raise and eyebrow looking at someone reeling in a fish from a ways off with that retrieval method I bet.
Harry - yep, hadn't thought about that, but very true!
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Back in the day (2nd ORCA National, Rochester, 2000), there was a display of three Ricketts reels, all different. At one point, Ricketts worked for Harvey Carlton's company, but luckily his Rickettsial disease wasn't contagious.

(Dr. E., see pp. 210, 295)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

As mentioned in an old issue of the Reel News, I purchased J. A. Ricketts "Notebook of a Fisherman" several years ago. The journal has Ricketts instructions on how to manufacture his reel, along with a mechanical frog, etc. (I wrote an article for the NFLCC about the frog). The Journal has a lots of interesting tales of hunting and fishing, along with instructions for his reel. All details in the journal are hand written with drawings by Mr. Ricketts. Thanks to Steve I also have a reel which I used to display with the journal at tackle shows.
If we concentrated on the really important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing tackle

Phil White
ORCA Honorary Life Member
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Early one I was fortunate enough to own a version....probably about 25-30 years ago! Unfortunately it didn’t work to well (kept binding) but do remember selling it to Doc Herr at Allentown that was the last time I’ve seen an example!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!