a pair of 12/0 Fin Nor "silver" reels

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

a pair of 12/0 Fin Nor "silver" reels

Post by stumpstalker »

These my father bought in 1961; we fished them for Bluefin out of Gloucester, and eventually they had to be retired, as no one could be found to keep them operable.

There are gunsmiths that can keep vintage guns going, but no comparable reel repair people for these old reels.

Only collectors or restaurant decorators seem to want these now. Fisherman do not trust them enough to risk a lifetime trophy Giant Tuna or Marlin with reels that are not reliably smooth-operating.

stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Re: a pair of 12/0 Fin Nor "silver" reels

Post by stumpstalker »

Both reels are consecutively numbered and came in original "train cases".

In the next post I will show the business card of the Miami dealer that sold the used reels to my father.

We were referred to the dealer by Jack Bode, an avid big game fisherman and tackle collector out of Freeport, Long Island, New York. He had a Jersey sea skiff named ZIP, that he would operate out of Lobster Cove, Annisquam Village, in Gloucester for Giant Bluefin in the late 1940s and 1950s. The boat was so loaded with gear it could hardly get out of it own way.

Any time my brother and I accompanied my father to go aboard and visit, Jack gifted us some sort of lure, or in one instance, a completely full box of Mustad hooks. I drew from that box for many years afterward.

stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

Here is the Miami dealer's business card.
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Thanks for posting those pictures and the History you have .
Hope you have kids to leave them to for perpetuating the History .
By the way there are lots of people who can repair those reels here .
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

A truly beautiful set of reels. Along with the provenance you have, it just adds value to the reels. Enjoy them and let them have the retirement they have undoubtedly earned. Add them to a couple of nice wood Tycoon rods and let them shine.
Reeltyme
Randy McConnell
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

Two cane rods we used for one year, not Tycoon, however.

Cases had Fin Nor label.

Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Those rods are perfect! They need to be together on display in your living/family room (if your better half agrees)!
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Great Looking set, Should you decide to let them go to a good collection, let me know. Love the old Fin Nors. Thanks , Doug
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Great outfits! It's nice to see the Fin-Nor marked boxes as well! Some time ago another big game collector stated/argued about reels coming in wooden boxes AND questioned the originality of a Coxe reel that was sold in a wooden box as well...goes to show no one knows what will be found! Had to point it out...in any event a very cool set of big game reels!
Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Stumpstalker
What a great set you have there !!!! I believe the reels are "CT" model 12/0s made in early 1940s. The carrying cases are beautiful as well the first I have seen like them and the fact that there consecutively numbered is really neat !!! The rod on the left I would say is a Montauge not sure about the other but both look beautiful !!!

A couple years ago I was lucky enough to buy a similar set in an auction. The reels were also consecutively numbered 12/0 "CT" model Fin-Nor's and the owners name was nicely engraved on both tail plates along with where he was from "RALPH HACKNEY ATLANTIC CITY NJ". The serial numbers were "X132X and 133 only a few reels away from yours. The rods were Tycoon Bimini Kings in pretty nice shape and they had stickers on both that said "Ralph's Pet Shop" Atlantic City, NJ. Ralph Hackney owned Ralph's Pet Shop. I will post a few pictures of mine below.

Again stumpstalker beautiful set !!!!! John Taylor

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Serial numbers

Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

John, took you long enough to show up. You been plowing that beautiful white stuff? You can stop drooling over these reels, you already have a set.
Stumpstalker, like John stated, that set is really early. Having those boxes is a great add on. Enjoy!
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

My brother and I are gratified that there are others who find these reels worth looking at and talking about.

54bullseye: That's some great history you have there on those two similar set-ups.
Our two reels are marked letter E over X146X and E over X147X.

We used the cane rods for a couple of years, then I believe it was Jack Bode who sold to my father his early fiberglass rods, the amber-colored resin over visible cloth-style. I will see if I can come up with some pictures of those. Those rods repose in my brother's basement. What is interesting about those rods is the machined-from-a-block bottom rollers, which are 4-way -- the usual two "horizontal", and the unusual two "vertical" rollers.

Here are more photos:

1) the rods and reels out on deck of the WILD GOOSE, a 33-foot Pacemaker Express, at the Rocky Neck Sportfishing Dock, in Gloucester, during the annual Cape Ann Tuna Club tournament. My brother is wearing a red shirt with his tournament patches on it. This could have been the year he lost a Giant that would have taken all the trophies. The fish about 10-feet from boat-side, made a final-effort surge, and the line came down on a raw area of the rod that had been jury-rigged and the line immediately parted.

So, no glory or trophies that tournament, but nobody can take away what became an oft-told story, the memories nor the valuable but hard-learned lesson about gear-readiness. circa 1964.

2) 1st page of the dealer's note to my father about the reels.

3) 2nd page of the letter.

4) envelope letter was sent in.

5) Lois Parker, whose husband was Frank Parker, of Concord, Massachusetts, a hunting and fishing buddy of my father's. Frank's arm you see to the left on one of the rods (the photo of him I could not get to up load).
Probably 1963 or 1964.

6) one more of the cane rods that was replaced by the classic fiberglass ones.

Last edited by stumpstalker on Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Stumpstalker
Great history on those reels and rods I wish I had all that kind of history on mine !! Great set. Also neat bunch of old fishing boats. John Taylor
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

Here is a photo of my brother fighting that Giant Bluefin with one of the 12/0 Fin Nor reels.

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Really a cool, historical topic. Thanks for posting.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990