A collection of vintage Orvis cardboard boxes

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Mike N
Star Board Poster

A collection of vintage Orvis cardboard boxes

Post by Mike N »

Through the good fellowship of several collectors (especially the venerable Dean Smith) who regularly alert me to eBay and other listings, I’ve been able to acquire 9 vintage Orvis cardboard boxes from the early 1900s. These boxes were sold with tied flies, leaders etc. and even the 1874 patent perforated fly reel (after the walnut boxes were discontinued.) I’m always looking to acquire more.

Here are the size variations I’ve found so far:

3-1/4” x 3-3/4” x 1-1/2” deep
3-3/4” x 3-3/4” x 1” deep
3-3/4” x 3-3/4” x 1-1/2” deep
2-3/4” x 6-1/2” x 1” deep (rectangular)

All of the boxes have the classic Orvis trademark drawing of two crossed fly rods with jumping trout/salmon, set over the classic model 1874 perforated fly reel,

The earliest square boxes are inscribed in script on top “Makers of Fine Fishing Tackle Since 1856” and “Charles F. Orvis Co., Manchester, Vermont ” (see photos).

The other square boxes are inscribed on top simply “Since 1856.”

The rectangular boxes read: “FROM CHARLES F. ORVIS, MANUFACTURER OF Fine Fishing Rods, Reels, and Artificial Flies...AND DEALER IN Fine Fishing Tackle, Manchester, Vermont.”

The pale green boxes that are in good condition show a gold border around the top of the box.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: A collection of vintage Orvis cardboard boxes

Post by Mike N »

Just added a fifth size:

4-3/4” x 6-3/8” x 1-1/8” depth (rectangular)

Since our ORCA website is one of the few vintage tackle sites that preserves threads and photos for future research of even this esoteric (that is, meaningful to only a few) topic, I hope to occasionally post updates and welcome others to do so also.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Hey Mike, that's a Fantastic Collection of these classic pieces. What is the range of dates that Orvis used these boxes?
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote:Hey Mike, that's a Fantastic Collection of these classic pieces. What is the range of dates that Orvis used these boxes?
It’s a research project in progress, Ron. It’s relatively easy to tell when the walnut reel box was replaced with cardboard by looking at Orvis catalogs in the early 1900s and noting when the “walnut box” was no longer mentioned. The fly and accessory cardboard boxes are a bit trickier to date. I’m also looking to date when the language on the boxes was changed, as noted above.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990