the plebeian Penn Senator

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

the plebeian Penn Senator

Post by stumpstalker »

I don’t see much excitement on this site about the Penn Senators, as they probably lack the charm of rarer and more innovative big game reels. But they did and still do perform yeoman's work; and I see from some past posts that there is some interest in period handle variations and distinctive 1930s features.

Here is what looks like a Penn Senator 12/0 doing what it was built to do, aboard real estate entrepreneur Ed Berndt’s sportfisherman-motor-sailer the LAZY LADY, in the late 1960s.

Maybe the reel is punching a little above its weight, as the quarry was the very Giant Bluefin of Massachusetts waters. They did boat the fish being fought in the photo.

The angler is Robert Enos (1914-1996), the last of the old-time Gloucester sailmakers, an avid all-around outdoorsman, perfectionistic craftsman and very colorful Cape Ann personality.

Reeltyme

Re: the plebeian Penn Senator

Post by Reeltyme »

Penn Senator. Drive over it with a truck and then take it fishing! One of the toughest, most reliable reels ever made,,, in my humble opinion,,, for the money that is.
Reeltyme
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

Russell, I would hate to see the pile of fish ever caught on a 12/0 Penn. Maybe the size of Rhode Island. Hope all is well with you. Doug
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Looks like a nice Harnell rod the reel is mounted on !!! Nice set up ! John Taylor
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

That the reel was a 12/0 was my guess. Could it be a 10/0?

(Was the 10/0 simply a wide-spool version of the 9/0; as the 16/0 was a wide-spool 14/0?)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I was going to suggest that unless the guy has big paws :D , it looks to me more like 10/0 than 12/0....and yes, 10/0's are bigger diameter than 9/0.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

And here is the fish being swung aboard.