4-way big game roller guides

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

4-way big game roller guides

Post by stumpstalker »

Here is a photo of the 4-way roller bottom guide on each of the pair of fiberglass big game rods I referenced in my earlier 12/0 Fin Nor “silver” reels thread.

Has anyone ever seen guides like these? They have both horizontal and vertical rollers.

It makes sense to me to have less chance of friction on the fixed edge of a guide if one is “hand-hauling” in short pulls bights of line against a fish, alternating that with cranking-in on whatever amount of line has been gained in those short pulls.

Anglers, especially when tired, might not be pulling straight-line later on in the struggle.

Has anyone experienced this?

These rods we fished on the WILD GOOSE in the 1960s, after buying them from Jack Bode after he had retired from fishing and being active in fishing clubs and tournaments. The Freeport [New York] Tuna Club has a Jack Bode Trophy that is still awarded annually.

Each of the rods has an inscription under the clear-coat, ZIP/JACK BODE/1950, and a later one identifying my father as the owner and the name of our boat, WILD GOOSE.

54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Re: 4-way big game roller guides

Post by 54bullseye »

Really neat Russel !! The main frame look like early Mildrum or Allen guides but the side rolls are new to me. Are all the guides on rods like that or just stripper guides ? Let me know if you decide to let them go ! John Taylor
stumpstalker
Big ORCA Fan

Post by stumpstalker »

John:

Just the stripper guides have the 4-eay rollers.

I have tried repeatedly to post a photo that shows the entirety of each rod; no luck, so far. I don't know why, as it is from the same series as the ones above.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Yes I've seen and own a rod with similar guides. As time allows I can forward John a few pics for the board. Actually the rod I own I believed was a 1 or a kind until I saw another at Daytona show about 13_15 years ago. Wish i bought it.... hadn't seen another. What's also nice about it is the 6 vertical strips of hardwood that make up the grip. The reel seats very Kovalovsky like..
Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Right Click on the ones that won't load for you here and then select properties and see how big the pic is and compare that to the ones that do load as it could be the ones you are having problems with are too big and in that case you will need to resize them using any number of FREE photo apps such as Irfranview available here
https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
or send them to me via my e-mail in my profile and I will be glad to post them for you .
Very NICE Family History you have there !!!!