Kovalovsky-Designed API Fly Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Kovalovsky-Designed API Fly Reel

Post by Deepfins791 »

I just picked this reel up. It is a new in the wood case limited edition API Sea Run fly reel. It was given as a gift from API to an engineer/machinist who helped them work out some of the bugs associated with manufacturing the reel. These reels were produced in the late 80's, based on a prototype designed, built, and patented by Oscar Kovalovsky. A wrote an article about them, which appeared in the January 2019 addition of Reel News magazine. They are not particularly old, but their exceedingly high quality, aesthetic appeal, limited production numbers, and connection to Oscar Kovalovsky make them sought after by many collectors. Enjoy!

John

Here is the reel alongside Oscar's prototype.
Last edited by Deepfins791 on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Kovalovsky-Designed API Fly Reel

Post by john elder »

Wow, what a score, John!! Just beautiful workmanship!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
flylutz
Frequent Board Poster

Post by flylutz »

Very beautifull..
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Beautiful John looks like it was made with precision that Kovalovsky reels were noted for. Really Nice !! JT
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Black & Gold makes a nice combo!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

That’s a real beauty, John. Thanks for posting.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Very nice reels.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Just incredible! Although I fish using spinning and big game conventional tackle for the last 40 years I’m becoming more and more interest in fly fishing again and fly reels in general! As a kid spending summers on the upper Raritan River I learned to fly fish at about 6-7 years old but later needed/wanted quicker action so steered away from fly fishing BUT I can appreciate the work involved in its design and engineering. Last night I spent a good part of the evening just admiring the engineering and designs in the fly reels in my collection... between the Orvis Odyssey and Fin Nor drags now the API... it’s hard to stay focused on Holzman & big game reels! Let’s hope I don’t get bit by the fly bug....Tight Lines Nick n NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
flylutz
Frequent Board Poster

Post by flylutz »

Hi, the fly fishing is great VIRUS but good...you can fishing all Big fishs tarpon,sailfish and others.....to try.
Fred