h.l. leonard - trout size - marbleized - made by philbrook & paine

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
JMK307
Big ORCA Fan

h.l. leonard - trout size - marbleized - made by philbrook & paine

Post by JMK307 »

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum and looking for some guidance about a reel that was given to me by my uncle. I am looking to sell this reel but don't know too much about it. It was was suggested I send it up to Langs Auction but before I do I wanted to see if anyone could share their experiences as well as any knowledge of what I have. The reel works perfectly and sounds and looks sweet!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Jamie

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: h.l. leonard - trout size - marbleized - made by philbrook & paine

Post by john elder »

Your uncle did very good by you! It’s a tough reel and has good value although the larger sizes will bring more. Does it have a hole in the middle of the foot? It would benefit from a thorough overhaul, but I don’t see any damage that cannot be remedied. I would like a shot at it if you come to a value we can both live with.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I agree with John on desirability to a collector. It's a later model marked Leonard rather than Philbrook & Paine. It also has a black knob rather than the earlier marbleized one. Still, it's a nice reel for a serious collector.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Jamie, if you are interested in selling the reel, and you don't know what you want for it, Lang's Auction is a good option. They specialize in auctioning antique tackle. They have a large auction following and your item would realize the actual market value. Lang's is a big supporter of ORCA and they are always a good option to for you to get what the reel's worth.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jamie,

It took a skilled hand to engrave that delicate back plate. Was your uncle a distant relative of “B.G. Holt, Jr?” If so, a bit of genealogical provenance ads value to many collectors. It’s a great, great reel.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990