South Bend Finalist 1144

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Trumpetman
Big ORCA Fan

South Bend Finalist 1144

Post by Trumpetman »

I acquired a 'new' reel today. It is a South Bend Finalist model 1144. If the Pflueger Medalist is the gold standard of click reels in its price range, I think the Finalist may just be the silver medal, or at least the bronze. I love them both, but the South Bend Finalist mates more naturally to my South Bend 8 wt. bamboo rod. My 6 wt. Pflueger glass rod wears a Medalist model 1495 1/2.

A comparison between these two reels is quite natural. They share several features that have become standard fare among old-schoolers. Gotta have "click," and I don't mean a tin can sounding click. Gotta have and adjustable brake-style drag system that really clamps down. And it's gotta have that substantial look and feel of a real reel, made of steel. In addition, right-to-left-hand conversion is a plus. These two reels have all that.

One difference between the Medalist and the Finalist is the number of clicks per revolution on the retrieve. The Finalist delivers four clicks per revolution. The Medalist boasts eight. Another difference is internal, and not functional. The Finalist features two brake shoes; the Medalist only one. I am confident that both reels will stop a fish of the appropriate size and weight.

As a proud Hoosier, I like the South Bend Fishing Company. I do not claim they always have the top of the line product in every area, but I like them, none the less. I see this company as an extreme blue collar working man's (or woman's) way to get into a sport that might otherwise die out for lack of affordable products. Second best? Maybe. But number two ain't bad at all. Perhaps you try harder if your number two!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: South Bend Finalist 1144

Post by john elder »

As another proud Hoosier, with about 10 Medalists and one Finalist, I agree the latter is a fine reel and it is in my user repertoire. It will always be considered as a poor cousin, but from a functional standpoint, it ain’t so! I prefer less noise, myself!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: South Bend Finalist 1144

Post by kyreels »

Love to see pictures.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle